WTB walnut with sapwood

matt roberts

New User
matt
I had a small walnut board a while back that still had the sapwood on it and I made a few small trinkets that my wife liked because of the color variation. I’d like to make some more and was reaching out to see if anyone had some laying around. It’s not something I see at the lumber yard since sap wood can be a negative and I don’t want a live edge slab just to cut a narrow edge off. Looking for something around 4” wide.

Attachments

• 90B8E192-F7FA-4CDB-A052-C337A16503A9.png
    90B8E192-F7FA-4CDB-A052-C337A16503A9.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 139

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Hi Matt. I am also a fan of mixing heartwood and sapwood. Here is a pic of some Cherry boxes with sapwood. Cut this tree in my back yard.
F112A6B9-4D74-4828-AB05-2443AFAAAA5A.jpeg

I probably have some walnut with sapwood I can get to you, but would have to Mail or pony express. I’ll take a look today and see what I can spare.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
How thick does it need to be? I may have some walnut at the house with sapwood, mostly cutoffs in different lengths. Personally, I love the look of sapwood with most heartwoods because it adds to the character.

matt roberts

New User
matt
Thanks all. Looking for 3/4 finished thickness but it can be rough, I’ve got a jointer and planer. I appreciate the offers and would be happy to buy someone’s drops, don’t want to take something that anyone is planing on using though of course.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Funny story - I made a cabinet in High school and I picked a board with a pretty dramatic knot in it.
When the teacher reviewed our stock he asked about that board.
I said I intend to mount it inside the cabinet to cover the lamp, but it will be hidden by the door style.

He said, yes, but when yo open the door, that ugly knot will be at eye-level...

I said yea! won't that be cool?! (He shook his head and walked away...)

matt roberts

New User
matt
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I like the variation on small pieces as it adds a bit to what might otherwise be a very plain and simple piece. In the end, my wife liked the variation and I tend to default to making her happy if possible.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS