WTB: Table Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clifton

New User
Cliff
Hi guys,

Brand new member here. I need your help. I am looking for a single phase table saw 3-5 hp. I am a paramedic and if you know anything about us you know we dont get paid well so inexpensive is a must. When i say inexpensive i mean between $500 and $1500. I like the powermatic 66's but i think they are all 3 phase, unless they have an aftermarket motor in them in which case i would not buy one. Ive also looked at NorthState which seem like good deals and also sawstop's which are just to expensive even used. This will be my second table saw purchase but my first professional grade. Ive got a Ryobi construction grade saw now, model BTS15 which ive had for over a decade. runs great but wont cut a straight line to save its life. I am looking to move up into a more accurate saw so i can start doing more precision work. I can drive anywhere in NC, SC or VA to pick one up. It does not have to be pretty but it must cut super accurate.

I will admit im relatively new to this hobby and dont really know what to look for or what saw would be a great deal price wise or which ones i should steer clear of. Your help on these questions and perhaps the location of a gently used table saw that wont break my bank account (or get me divorced) and will run for years would be greatly appreciated.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Welcome. Probably a range of opinions on this one. My first question is whether you've calibrated your current saw, evaluated your indeed and outfeed support, blade sharpness/appropriate for task, and technique. It should cut a straight line. I'd be concerned that you'd spend money on not much of an upgrade unless you find a used steal or max out your budget. I won't try to provide a comprehensive rundown of options, but new I'd consider a Grizzly 0690 which is at the top of your stated price range. That said, for power tools, I'd invest the most in a table saw, band saw, jointer, planer, dust collector not necessarily in that order. I'm sure others will chime in.

Clifton

New User
Cliff
im fairly certain the problem is in the fence, but ive not been able to find a good aftermarket fence for it. Im also unhappy that it has no miter grooves and therefor finding add-ons to improve it have been difficult. I dont really think it serves my needs and would really like some of the features of the higher end models. Besides that the base of mine is missing a cross bar support and it wobbles. So far a new grizzly looks like a good option for me, but i honestly would like to keep it under $10000 if i could so that i have some budget left to buy other tools, like a planer or a jointer.

BKHam

Bradley
User
if you are looking for the safest then the saw stop (and recently bosch) is your first choice and that will use your budget. if you are willing go with a traditional table saw, Delta unisaws of all sorts are always on the secondary market. to agree with you, you can't go wrong with a powermatic anything in my view. For $1500, you could get a used table saw or a moderately priced new one, a used 6 inch jointer, and a bench top planer and still have some leftover to get the dust collector. don't spend it all on the table saw! if you are like many of us, you will soon become obsessed with dust collection so save some $$ for that.

if you happen to find a table saw at a bargain and don't like the fence. I put a vega fence on an old craftsman in the past and it worked great.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Brad Vetteman (vetteman9956) had a Delta Unisaw with side table and router position for sale here last month and it's in your price range. He may still have it. I love my 1983 Unisaw and have no need to search for a better saw than what I have. I'm sure you will feel the same after you get one.

Charley

Clifton

New User
Cliff
Brad Vetteman (vetteman9956) had a Delta Unisaw with side table and router position for sale here last month and it's in your price range. He may still have it. I love my 1983 Unisaw and have no need to search for a better saw than what I have. I'm sure you will feel the same after you get one.

Charley

Anyway we can contact him? I dont see him in the member list, do you know his username on here?

EDIT: Nevermind im tired, just saw that you had put his username beside hiw real name lol. Thanks for the lead!

Last edited:

Danagawa

New User
D
I would look at delta Unisaw and powermatic 66. By the way they did make plenty of them in single phase(I have an 1986 and love it). Just keep an eye here and craigslist maybe even eBay. I have seen a few good ones in the last few years. I bought my off a lead from this website.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
A used Unisaw or Powermatic would be better. Also check out the Bosch 4100. It is a "job site saw" but people can get some serious work done on this saw. You can get extension wings. It will do dados and of course has the miter slot. That should last you a while and you could upgrade in the future.

Clifton

New User
Cliff
A used Unisaw or Powermatic would be better. Also check out the Bosch 4100. It is a "job site saw" but people can get some serious work done on this saw. You can get extension wings. It will do dados and of course has the miter slot. That should last you a while and you could upgrade in the future.

Yes Redknife, that seems to be the vibe im getting. looking for used powermatic with 1 phase motor or a unisaw. Im just trying to get the best i can get for my money now because i likely wont upgrade for years. o i would hate to buy too little of a machine now and grow out of it too soon, i would feel like i wasted my money.

Clifton

New User
Cliff
Ok guys looks like ive settled on a gently used Powermatic 66 with single phase motor to match my house, a Biesemeyer 52 inch fence and an infeed and outfeed table. Supposed to go get on monday and ill post pics once i get it setup!

Clifton

New User
Cliff
Ok I looked long and hard, spent about two weeks in the search for what i consider my perfect saw. Did lots of research as this was my first "pro" saw purchase. Found out that i should choose between powermatic and Sawstop, I went with powermatic. So ive got her home, and set her up, and im very proud of her. Her name is Haiden, after Haiden Panettierre, cause well, nuff said....Ive added a Kreg precision miter system, but other than that she is as i purchase her. I think i got a good deal and I hope Stephen doesnt think i robbed him :p

Thank you so much stephen. This is my first major tool purchase and it was important to get a well maintained machine, that had been shown the respect I will show her, and im glad to say yours is that saw. Thank you for parting with her, and I hope your new Saw does you just as well.

Now to find a 6-8" jointer so i can actually start building things....

imag02441.jpg

imag02462.jpg

imag02452.jpg

imag02471.jpg

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Stephen needs to provide us with some detailed impressions of the comparison between these two great saws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS