Wtb dovetail saw

Trey1984

Trey
User
I'm wanting to find a nice western style pistol grip dovetail saw. Something like a lei Nelson, Rob crossman, bad axe. If you have something let me know. I don't want a veritas. Thanks for looking. Also would like to hear what you have and what you like or don't like about them.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Lie-Nielsen tapered dovetail saw (which surprisingly is in stock). I also have their tapered carcass saw. I'm sure there are other saws just as good, but I loved these. The dovetail saw is 15 tpi so it's easy to start and leaves a fine cut. I like the taper because it helps me not cut too deep on the side away from me. Depending on the height you're cutting at, it can be easy to tilt the toe of the saw down and cut past the mark.

I don't believe you will go wrong with any of the brands you mention. Depending on how close you are to Pittsboro you might want to head to the Tool Store and see what Ed has in the way of antique saws.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
You may also want to check out Florip Toolworks as his new saw is getting rave reviews. Great story of a US vet. However, he can't make them fast enough. Woodcraft says they will finally have supply in March

bbrown

Bill
User
Check out Florip saws. Hand made by a small manufacturer. They are comparable to the higher end saws you mentioned, but (at least as of 2020) were much cheaper. He may have raised his prices since he has become quite popular and there have been rave reviews on social media.

Trey1984

Trey
User
You may also want to check out Florip Toolworks as his new saw is getting rave reviews. Great story of a US vet. However, he can't make them fast enough. Woodcraft says they will finally have supply in March
I've seen good reviews on the florip saws and they seem like nice saws.

Trey1984

Trey
User
I have the Lie-Nielsen tapered dovetail saw (which surprisingly is in stock). I also have their tapered carcass saw. I'm sure there are other saws just as good, but I loved these. The dovetail saw is 15 tpi so it's easy to start and leaves a fine cut. I like the taper because it helps me not cut too deep on the side away from me. Depending on the height you're cutting at, it can be easy to tilt the toe of the saw down and cut past the mark.

I don't believe you will go wrong with any of the brands you mention. Depending on how close you are to Pittsboro you might want to head to the Tool Store and see what Ed has in the way of antique saws.
Where is the tool store? I stay in Sanford so I'm not far at all. I was wondering about the taper on the lie Nelson saw. That's good to know. One of the lei Nelson saw is what I've been considering but still debating. Thanks for input.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
The tool store is in downtown Pittsboro above the woodwright's school. However, they are now open by appointment only after 2pm some days. He is very concerned about Covid and only lets one person in at a time. Call ahead

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Florip saws are really good. I own the dovetail saw and the small bench saw. ive enjoyed using them, I have also used the Lienelson saws and they are really good saws as well.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I've got Veritas and LN. LN has better balance and weight. Maybe brass vs plastic back.

In the end, its personal choice, but if you have a large hand the LN will fit better than LV.

You don't need to spend a fortune. For many years I cut perfectly nice DT's with a cheap Gent's saw. The problem with them is the teeth are set too wide and they aren't sharpened well. In a Frank Klausz video I learned how to tune them up by unsetting the teeth and sharpening. Turns a crummy saw into a performer.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Suprises me no one mentioned Tom Calisto. He is right here in N.C. Teaches saw making at Roy's place but also sells saws online at windwardwoodworks.shop. Sells kits and finished saws.
David

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Just curious.... why not the Veritas?
I had one for a while, it was given to me and I gave it away.
any more questions? Haha...

To me it seems cheap even though it is not.
The plastic is very off putting for me and the balance doesn't feel right.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the LV and just ordered a florip. Have been looking for a used one but they are all now called "Vintage" and the sellers seem to think they are made of gold. Did not check in with Ed's so that was my bad. But for the price I don't think I can go wrong. With all the cost increases I am seeing I figured I better pull the trigger now.....

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS