wtb dogwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think that you are going to have a very hard time finding that. Dogwoods rarely achieve a trunk diameter greater than 12"(dbh). Once that cant is squared up, and the pith cut out, I wouldn't think that there would be enough material to cut much 8/4 stock, especially of any width.
Out of curiosity, what are you needing to use it for?? Dogwood is very shock resistant, but rather bland wood. Maybe ash or Hickory would be a good subsitute...for the shock resistant aspect.
Dave:)

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
i'm making a loom. dogwood is very apt not to splinter, that's what is important to me. the dog wood will only be used for the peices that the threads are passed over (aprox 2"x2") and for the shuttles (about 1/8" x 2"). so it is not much that i need. the shuttles only need to be 30" long. and the beams are about 3'5.

the rest of the frame is being made out of some antique pine i had laying around.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well you may have a chance of finding some that narrow. You might have to laminate some 4/4 stock to get the thickness. I am sure if you don't need it immediately and might have access to a tree, that one of the sawyers in the membership would be happy to mill it for you.
You might have to mail order that small amount off the net. Try www.woodfinder.com for some listings. Or you might try http://americanwoodyard.com/ they are located near the Fairgrounds in Raleigh and they deal with a lot of urban timber.
Dave:)

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I had about 50 bf a few years ago.. it is quite rare in diameters over 10" and VERY expensive when available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS