WTB Butternut lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I am working on a project that calls for butternut aka "white walnut." I am looking for 5/4 (final dim 7/8") and 6/4 thickness. Does anyone have a a suggestion of where I could get some.

Thanks,
Jerome Bias

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hey Jerome. Long time no see. I hope all is well. I have purchased some nice butternut at The Hardwood Store.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
The last time I bought butternut I found it at Badger Hardwoods in Wisconsin----that was a few years back. However, here is some contact info: web site is www.badgerwood.com Phone is 800-252-2379 and address is N1715 HWY. 14, Walworth, Wi. 53184. I did not try the web site so I do not know if it is still up. Get ready to reach deep in your pocket------- rumor was there is some sort of disease killing the butternut and price has escalated. Good luck in finding what you need.

Jerry

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I was wondering when you guys plane your wood what isthe thickest that you can get out of 4/4 rough sawn stock? The origia that I am copying is calling for 7/8 thickness.

Jerome

Woodmolds

Tony
User
I was wondering when you guys plane your wood what is the thickest that you can get out of 4/4 rough sawn stock? The origia that I am copying is calling for 7/8 thickness.

Jerome

Jerome,
Depends on what the mill cuts and sometimes the species. Some mills saw full, some don't. I have dressed 4/4 rgh to 1" clean both sides. A lot of quarter sawn 4/4 will barely clean up both sides at 3/4". Start heavy on the measured size(especially if cupped) and flip every pass through the planer. Make light passes, more light passes should give maximum thickness. A lot of people make the mistake of starting too thin on the first pass. Run all boards, on each setting, at the same time to avoid grief later.

Tony

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I was wondering when you guys plane your wood what isthe thickest that you can get out of 4/4 rough sawn stock? The origia that I am copying is calling for 7/8 thickness.

Jerome

When I worked for the millwork company, most of the 4/4 stock came in at about 1 1/8" and depending on the flatness of the rough stock we could get a clean 1" on some and 7/8 " on most of it. It was a rare thing not to clean up at 3/4".

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS