WTB Birdseye Maple pieces

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
I am building four dovetail saws as gifts and would like to have four pieces 5” wide X 6” long. x 1” thick. Advise if you have some Birdseye.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
David if no one comes forward I have purchased lots of short pieces of various woods from The Hardwood Store. Might be a good Plan B.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Perhaps a bit off subject, but I was searching for some birdseye maple about 6 months ago. Was in Pennsylvania and stopped in a very nice hardwood lumber yard and they had some. The price? WOW! Close to 20 bucks a bf. I left without it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
This guy sometimes has some, but right now it looks like he only has Curly Maple. The quality is as advertised but he is not cheap though.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Woodcraft
May work for you

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Perhaps a bit off subject, but I was searching for some birdseye maple about 6 months ago. Was in Pennsylvania and stopped in a very nice hardwood lumber yard and they had some. The price? WOW! Close to 20 bucks a bf. I left without it.
Depends on how populated the birds eyes are? If highly populated, you probably passed up a good deal. I pay $30 a bf for it if the birdseyes are dense.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Depends on how populated the birds eyes are? If highly populated, you probably passed up a good deal. I pay $30 a bf for it if the birdseyes are dense.
I am going back next week, if they have some I could pick some up for you. I could have been wrong on the price, maybe, I am old. lol

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
I have some spalted maple crotch pieces near charlotte 1.75 to 2.25in thick 26 to36 in wide appx 6 ft if interested air dried moisture 10 to 12%

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Are you going to post pics of the saws? Would like to see them or some that you have made.
Not much to look at now. Just a saw plate with punched teeth, a brass back that is unpolished, and some saw nuts. The handle is what sets them apart from each other and since these are gifts for fellow woodworkers, I want something really special. I will keep looking.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Woodcraft
May work for you
Robert: The stock needs to be 5" wide x 6" long x 1" thick for each handle. No way do I want it glued together from pieces.

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211007-115802_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-115802_Messenger.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20211007-115800_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-115800_Messenger.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20211007-115805_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20211007-115805_Messenger.jpg