WTB 10/4 or 12/4 walnut for curved chair legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I have been trying to find thick walnut for curved chair leg stock. No luck.

10/4 will work if the usable thickness is 2.5 inches, else 12/4.

Can anyone point me to someone that has it? I'm hoping someone has SEEN 10/4 or thicker stock and can refer me. I have looked around at various websites with no success.

I don't want steamed stuff and it MUST be dry. This is structural so no cracks/wind shake, etc. 45 inch minimum length would work.

Chuck

Last edited:
T

tmwassack

Greetings from Asheboro!
I was in the Hardwood Store of NC last Friday picking up material for study built-in and saw some 10/4 reclaimed walnut in an unbroken pack.

Regards,
Tom Wassack

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Greetings from Asheboro!I was in the Hardwood Store of NC last Friday picking up material for study built-in and saw some 10/4 reclaimed walnut in an unbroken pack.Regards,Tom Wassack
Hi Tom,What does "reclaimed" mean?Here's a pic of the chair design. Chuck

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
I have bought 12/4 walnut from the Hardwood Store of NC in the past.:) Other sources either didn't carry it or the price was just too high. Note that the Hardwood store will cut 12/4 to length so you only end up with what you need vs. the entire 8-10' bd.

Sam

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Dry walnut that thick may be hard to come by and expensive... I guess gluing some together is out of the question?

T

tmwassack

Hi Tom,What does "reclaimed" mean?Here's a pic of the chair design. Chuck

Chuck,
The walnut pack was tagged with verbiage alerting the purchaser that metal (nails, etc.) may be present. I noticed the fore-mentioned walnut because it was near a pack of Michigan harvested red oak I was picking through. And as someone else noted, they did have some thicker than 4/4 walnut in part of their sales area, but I did not look at it closely.

Regards,
Tom Wassack

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Dry walnut that thick may be hard to come by and expensive... I guess gluing some together is out of the question?

Jeff - not out of the question. I may have to use 8/4 stock and glue on an offset strip at the foot to finish the curve if the cost is too high.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Jeff - not out of the question. I may have to use 8/4 stock and glue on an offset strip at the foot to finish the curve if the cost is too high.

Note that the grain change can be quite abrupt on the curve and look painfully obvious rather than seamless.
ymmv

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

I recall two different members here who I cut 16/4 BW for. One was several 16/4 x 16/4's and the other was 16/4 x 20 - a beast of a board I'll tell you that - I man handled that board myself for a lumber run but it took 4 members to load it in the back of his pickup. I can't for the life of me remember who they were. But I do know it was at least 4 years ago - that 16/4 should be pretty dry by now. Maybe one of the two members will read this and offer you their lumber - one can hope can't he?

Spell Check is driving me mad - please forgive the mis-spelled words

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
I'll check my stock, but I should have something....depends on how much you need. I cut some 12/4 years ago for a project and had a couple pieces left over.

Chris

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Hey Chuck, I've done chairs with a similar design and used 6/4 walnut. Seems you could easily get 4 legs from 6/4 stock laid out like this:
chairleg.jpg

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Hey Chuck, I've done chairs with a similar design and used 6/4 walnut. Seems you could easily get 4 legs from 6/4 stock laid out like this:
chairleg.jpg

That's the layout I had in mind. I have dimensioned the design in Sketchup. The legs will be curved both front-to-rear (5 1/8 inches curve) AND left to right (2 3/8 inches curve). I need the thicker stock to accommodate the left-to-right curve. I have a good supply of 8/4 on hand for everything except the rear legs.

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
I have been trying to find thick walnut for curved chair leg stock. No luck.

10/4 will work if the usable thickness is 2.5 inches, else 12/4.

Can anyone point me to someone that has it? I'm hoping someone has SEEN 10/4 or thicker stock and can refer me. I have looked around at various websites with no success.

I don't want steamed stuff and it MUST be dry. This is structural so no cracks/wind shake, etc. 45 inch minimum length would work.

Chuck

We have 12/4 walnut at The Hardwood Store of NC, Inc.

Thanks.

Cheryl

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Have you considered laminating up to your required size? You could steam bend some walnut into the shape you needed and then when it was dry, glue it up. I've seen some table legs built up this way.

Roy G

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Note that the grain change can be quite abrupt on the curve and look painfully obvious rather than seamless.
ymmv

Yep, that's what has me looking for thicker stock. I am not a very good WWer but I try to start with the right stuff.

I'm gonna do a mock up in laminated poplar to create pattern pieces. Cheaper when I screw up poplar. :gar-La;

Chuck

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i finished a coffee table not long ago with curved legs (walnut) needing about the same starting size ~2.5" x 2.5". I tried and wasted some perfectly good walnut by laminating some together and then cutting out the curve. Of course maybe if I'd paid more attention to the grain pattern on the mating pieces rather than the outside it wouldn't have been so bad. I ended up at the Hardwood store for the 12/4 walnut and was happy. Matching their leg stock to the apron (air-dried walnut) worked fine though you can see the lighter tones in the leg stock. Perhaps some toner would be in order. Good luck!

Sam

eyekode

New User
Salem
I was also thinking a bent lamination could work for this design. If you mill it out of solid lumber you will have grain runout. If you do a bent lamination the grain can be consistent. And walnut hides a glue line pretty well.

But wow Ken's walnut cants in Liberty look wondermus!
Salem

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I have plenty of 6 by 4 rough Walnut and Cherry, if you are ever down this way:Rough Cants
Dressed
walnut2.JPG
Another dressed
walnut1.JPG
That's some pretty stuff!!Ideal width for me would be 10-11 inches. I could get 3 legs from 10/4 stock that is 10 inches wide. I haven't thought about 16/4 stock. That's like working with railroad timbers. Chuck

truckjohn

New User
John
I know Th' Lumberyard in Mauldin, SC has some - as I bought my piece of it there....
I think mine is actually 16+/4... As a few here have mentioned.. It's heavy stuff.
Mine is KD, though - not AD.....

You will have a much easier time if you search for "Walnut fireplace mantles" as that's what most of the super thick stuff ends up as...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS