Writing on walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Roscoe

New User
William
Got some walnut logs I'm cutting into smaller pieces but nothing shows up on this dark wood. I need a white pencil:). Any ideas??

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I try to rely upon my knife for lines and such. I use chalk for broader notes (e.g. lining up boards for a table).

How about a white colored pencil for marking edges and the like? Might be hard to get precision with that.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I use white pencils, available at most craft stores. they show up great on walnut
IMG_0793.JPG

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i've never found pencils to be fine enough for a cut line -marking faces and stuff sure, but a knife is superior in my clumsy hands.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
A regular .5-9mm mechanical pencil line will show up on dark wood with a side light. Overhead fluorescent light washes it out. I use a marking knife then white or yellow chalk to highlight the mark (old eyes:mad:) for fine work. For rough cutting, chalk or a yellow grease pencil. White, yellow, light blue .9 mm Bohin sewing pencil refills from my wife's sewing basket will work too but not a good idea for peace and harmony in the house.

William Roscoe

New User
William
Good ideas, for sure. I think I'll try hobby lobby first. I'm trying to mark on the end grain, cutting 5 equal sized triangles (72 degrees). Then I'll I should be able to turn it and get the grain as even circles, top to bottom with dark wood at the bottom and light colored sapwood on top. Saw this in a book called TURNING GREEN WOOD. I'll take some pictures and we'll see if this really works!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I tend to use white pencils - Hobby Lobby, Michael's, many craft stores carry them.

But another option is to put blue painter's tape on the wood and mark on the tape.

William Roscoe

New User
William
Pictures of a walnut tree I was lucky enough to get. Plan to use this only for turning!

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 126

Truefire

New User
Chris
Wow! That is some beautiful wood...lucky you! :) Some of that chucked + chisels kissing should make you smile.

William Roscoe

New User
William
just got around to turning 4 bowls yesterday and put anchorseal on them. I also cut a 6" section off of 1 of the larger pieces and I ran out of time but I'll go back and mark and cut it into sections on the bandsaw. This will be my first time turning wood this way. I'll post some pictures when I get them rough cut. I may even try using the microwave on one, like in the book I mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS