WOW! I actually made something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRock

New User
Gil
Well, I'm really a rookie as far as fine woodworking goes. I'm well resigned to the fact that woodworking tallent is not something I have or am likely to acquire. Now with carpenter work, I'll hold my own. Any way, My plan is to substitute quality machinery and modern technology for the aforementioned lack of tallent.

As far as the machinery goes, for now I'm stuck with an old Craftsman TS that was my dad's. It has pretty much sat in the shop at the farm for the last 30 years and has seen most use as a storage shelf or workbench. The TS fence seems to be made of thin metal formed into an upside down "U". It's reinforced at both ends, but in the middle it seems to have gotten squeezed in somewhat, about 1/32" - 1/16". I decided to make a "fence" to attach to the metal fence that would give me the straight edge and sacrificial capabilities.

Wanting to play with the new jointer and planer and biscuit jointer, I made this last night.

The bow or squeeze in doesn't show up much in this picture....
DCP00658_edited.jpg

DCP00659.jpg

HardRock

New User
Gil
I've still got to put a couple 1/4-20 bolts thru to mount it to the fence, and eventually make an outfeed table.

DCP00663.jpg

DCP00662.jpg

main problem now is, after the wife checked it out, now she wants the kitchen cabinets out of spalted oak!

It ain't much, but for me, it's a start.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
great start!

Is that the kitchen range in the background? What an understanding wife!:rolf:

HardRock

New User
Gil
Yea, that's the mock up for the new kitchen. Hopefully have some help coming over today and get the table saw down to the garage level.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Hey, it's a start. Having your tools set up correctly makes all the difference in the world. The better you tune them, the better you will do IMO. Just last weekend I was ready to throw my Leigh D4 dovetail jig in the trash.

I learned from Insom and Woodguy telling me that my miter saw was probably out of whack (which it was), and then having it proved to me by DaveO coming over that it has some deflection in cuts. I needed a new blade so I ordered a full thickness one due in this week. Maybe that will help with that problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS