Woverine Sharpening problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
Guys I have the hardest time with my wolverine...I believ it is set up right from all who has seen it...I had woodartz give me a lesson and he made it look so easy...Now when I do it I seem to get it thin at the edge and with 80 grit wheel white compound...Makes it have low and high spots...Or I get the point super pointed...If there is any one with a good lesson that would be great...I have watched the video 10 times that came with it but I think the long handle makes it a little harder than jst a shank to sharpen. Anyways thanks for looking and I still have cherry burl for sale or payment for teaching me not to hate this thing. I have pretty much wasted a new bowl gauge on this thing at 80.oo a pop. I'm usung 1/2" and 3/4" rounded back top:icon_scra:dontknow::BangHead:

Rob

New User
Rob
Sounds like you either need to dress your wheel with a diamond dresser, or maybe it's turning off balance? I would dress your wheel first.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Chris, I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the wolverine. I'd be happy to work with you some more, but I'm not sure when I'll be back up that way. The way I got started was to get a gouge with a bevel and design I liked (I like an irish grind). I then set the jig and the v-arm to match the angle on the gouge.

With the grinder off, adjustments must be made until you can swing the gouge around the full grinding arc and have full contact with the bevel the entire swing. Once you have that setting, you're good to go. Put the gouge in the vari-grind jig with 1 3/4" extended, set the distance on the v-arm until you match your bevel angle, and grind. I always grind two light passes on each wing and then one very light pass around the point.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I would go along with the wheel dressing,cause if it;s not running smooth,you won't get a good grind.Another thing I found out after grinding off a foot or so of what used to be a pretty good gouge,:gar-Cr is that I don't hold it very far out on the end of the handle,but as close to the metal as I can,I seem to have better control over the tool that way.Another thing I did was buy me a couple of cheap bowl gouge's,you can get BB for about 8 bucks a piece to use untill I got the sharpening thing down,then go for the better tools.Worked for me.Good luck.

Ken

DavidF

New User
David
I agree to first dress the wheel, this makes for less bumping and vibration. As they state in the video, the jig does nothing to control the amount of material you take off which obviously affects the shape. It is up to you to concentrate more or less on an area to get the shape you need. It is VERY easy to get a pointed grind by spending too long on the sides and not enough on the tip.

Just set the vari grind jig in the middle and be done with it. Make a block with a 1 3/4 deep hole in it to set the projection the same each time. Before grinding with the vari grind. Decide on the bevel angle say 30 deg and the top grind back, say 60 deg so that the bevel and top grind form roughly 90 Deg. Grind these flat on the normal platform first. The bottom bevel just in the center and the top bevel down to the bottom of the flute at the front. The top grind will probably end up between 1/2" and 3/4 long. Once you have the grinds established, mark the front bevel with black marker and rest it on the stationary wheel. Rotate the wheel by hand and adjust the slide in or out until the black marker gets removed across the length of the bevel. Then grind! take light passes on the sides and around the front until the flat created by your initial grind is just gone. You can fine tune the shape as you go, but the flute shape pretty well defines the end shape at the front. Make sure not to over grind the sides leaving them concaved, they should be flat or a little convexed.

Well I hope that helps, and I am sure others have different methods, but this one works for me. Check out thompson tools web site, they have a printable full size picture that shows the vari grind position

http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/sharpening.asp

DavidF

New User
David
I've no idea where you are in relation to Pittsboro, but if you want to come over to my place and have a play, you are very welcome.

jimwill48

James
I might be a little closer, I'm in Mooresville and would be happy to help you with the Wolverine Jig. Just give me a shout, I will be home on Sunday.

James

Guys I have the hardest time with my wolverine...I believ it is set up right from all who has seen it...I had woodartz give me a lesson and he made it look so easy...Now when I do it I seem to get it thin at the edge and with 80 grit wheel white compound...Makes it have low and high spots...Or I get the point super pointed...If there is any one with a good lesson that would be great...I have watched the video 10 times that came with it but I think the long handle makes it a little harder than jst a shank to sharpen. Anyways thanks for looking and I still have cherry burl for sale or payment for teaching me not to hate this thing. I have pretty much wasted a new bowl gauge on this thing at 80.oo a pop. I'm usung 1/2" and 3/4" rounded back top:icon_scra:dontknow::BangHead:

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
Guys thank you so much....I love this site and willingness to help...

That being said do you think I alta go with a 100 grit wheel or 120 so I'm not removing so much metal. I was fine after Woodartz left and sharpened 3-4 time perfect and then a little slip and another 1" of metal later I got it close again...If someone has an opening tomorrow I will be glad to run to charlotte or up to an hour, hour and half and receive some help....I will even bring some cherry burl or oak burl or dogwood burl ( Just found it today and spent 3 hours digging it out of the ground and out from under a clear cut pile of trees). Anyway I would like to hangout and learn to sharpen and then maybe do a joint bowl and enter it into the contest on the 18th or just learn some tips. Could also use some tips in finishing... Also I wouldnt be able to come til after lunch sometime...I have to help my father with some things early in the morning.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Chris,
I'm also in Mooresville and have the full Wolverine system.A dressed and balanced wheel will allow you much more control when your lightly grinding your edge.If there is any chatter in your wheel it will translate to the tip of the gouge and you wont get the smooth sharp radius you need to make those great cuts.I'll be around all weekend so let me know.
Greg

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
Thanks Greg...Let me see how quick I can get everything completed i the morning snf I will shoot you a PM on here. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS