Worth the $950 Price Tag ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpybear

Gary
User
I have not experienced any of the manufacturers transferring a warranty. Unisaws with the trimmings are available about the same price. It is not a current model, but a bargain is a bargain!

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
There is a Grizzly on this site posted by DaveO that could possibly work for you.

tv

nickster

New User
Nick
Yeah I saw that saw too... I'm just wondering why these saws appear to me close to 1k new but they are used for $900 +

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Nick,
New value for the Grizzly after shipping and adding the rolling base is closer to $1300 and I'm sure that the SC is too. That being said, I always base used price at 50 % then come up on condition. I don't spend more than 60% on used equipment. I personally wouldn't pay more than $750 for either of those saws even in new condition. The Delta X5 on the site is a better bargain being that it was probably closer to $2000 when new, after taxes, shipping, etc.. Besides, it's a Delta and will hold it's value better, but realistically I wouldn't pay than $1000 for that either.

Good luck and if the price isn't right, you'll eventually find one that is.

nickster

New User
Nick
Nick,
New value for the Grizzly after shipping and adding the rolling base is closer to $1300 and I'm sure that the SC is too. That being said, I always base used price at 50 % then come up on condition. I don't spend more than 60% on used equipment. I personally wouldn't pay more than $750 for either of those saws even in new condition. The Delta X5 on the site is a better bargain being that it was probably closer to $2000 when new, after taxes, shipping, etc.. Besides, it's a Delta and will hold it's value better, but realistically I wouldn't pay than $1000 for that either.

Good luck and if the price isn't right, you'll eventually find one that is.

Thanks Jimmy.... That is what I kind of thought too... I'd be all over them for 50% of the MSRP but not 90%...

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Boy you guys are brutal,sadly enough all I've gotten for inquiries was a bunch of scam artist on the Uni. Go easy on us ,when you take care of something and the replacement prices keep going up faster than you can keep track of ,you have to be realistic.

Greg

Grumpybear

Gary
User
Woodman2K, you are right on the money with your price. That's a great price for a great saw! Now, I understand the above reply by you, since I saw your classified.

nickster

New User
Nick
Yeah I agree with Grumpybear price seems to be right on for the Uni... If I had a little more space I'd be all over it. I just question a saw that is only a $100 - $200 off retail when it's 3+ years old.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
The X5 Greg has listed sold new for close to $2k, so his price is at a good resell point. I have the same saw and paid
right at the same as he is asking. Mine didn't come with the extension table, but did have a mobile base. I had to drive over 13 hours round trip and don't regret the purchase at all.
Adding a mobile base would help with your room issue and I see no issue with making the 50" fence shorter.
JMHO

Ken

Grumpybear

Gary
User
No! No! don't cut it! You never know when you're going to have that big piece to trim a smidgen from! Oops, sorry, just have a reticent nature to cut such a tool! Move into the living room and preserve the capacity! (Hope my wife doesn't read this!)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Right now on CL and in a NCWW thread is a Delta cabinet saw for $800, this saw includes a 50' fence and a Delta rolling base ( the best for this saw annd it retails @ $269).

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/2219741877.html

This is a great deal, you can probably talk him down a little because of table top rust which is easily remedied.

This is a good used TS deal !

nickster

New User
Nick
Right now on CL and in a NCWW thread is a Delta cabinet saw for $800, this saw includes a 50' fence and a Delta rolling base ( the best for this saw annd it retails @ $269).

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/2219741877.html

This is a great deal, you can probably talk him down a little because of table top rust which is easily remedied.

This is a good used TS deal !

The mobile base on there makes it a def possibility....

terry1166

New User
Terry
I'm not sure what the Steel City sold for originally, but do you really think it was for just $1300 retail.
About one and a half years ago, I got a very special price on a Steel City 3HP cabinet saw that had just been replaced by the new model line The saw came with the titanium alloy top, extension table, T-Square fence, etc. I paid $900 for a brand new one in the crate with all the accessories and a 5 year warranty. I had to go to Murphreesboro, TN to get it but it was worth it. At the same time, according to every site I could find on the internet, the retail price of the saw was $2295. I know the titanium alloy top adds a little to the price, but not $1000.00.

I think Delta makes a great piece of equipment (the Unisaw). I looked for weeks for a used one but at the time I was looking, Unisaws (some of them 10 years old or older) were being advertised on CL and other places for $650 and more.

The Steel City saw was set up nicely right out of the crate. The blade tilt stops were set dead-on as confirmed by my Wixey angle gauge.

If I had the cash to buy any saw I wanted, I would probably be shopping for the latest model Unisaw or a 3HP SawStop. I must say though that the Steel City saw I have does everything I ask of it and does it effortlessly and accurately.

Also, I agree with others in that when the asking price for new table saws is escalating as it is, that obviously makes used equipment of the same type and in good condition more valuable. Basically it's no different than the escalation that occurs (or should I say, used to occur) with housing prices.

Terry

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If I was in the market, that Uni in apex would have been loaded into my trailer several hours ago. With his asking price, he would have had to nail things in the shop down to keep them from being sucked into the vacuum where the Uni USED to be!

nickster

New User
Nick
If I was in the market, that Uni in apex would have been loaded into my trailer several hours ago. With his asking price, he would have had to nail things in the shop down to keep them from being sucked into the vacuum where the Uni USED to be!

I'm just worried about the space in my one car garage.

terry1166

New User
Terry
I agree with Bruce, the price for the used Steel City saw is a good price, the price for the Unisaw is a great price. If I were choosing, I would definitely go with the Unisaw. If I had found a Unisaw at that price when I was looking, It would be in my shop now.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS