Worth of used equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Does anyone know of a good way to determine the original price of a used shop machine? When shopping for used equipment I like to use half of original retail as a starting point and may go up or down in what I am willing to pay based on condition. This system breaks down when applied to older equipment that is no longer being sold as new. I'm not necessarily talking old 'arn. Vintage machines have their own market.

Example: I'm eyeing a Delta Model 22-675 on CL that's listed for $750. I have no experience with these machines or anything like them. How do I know if that's even close to fair? How do you deal with this issue?

Thanks,
Charles

Sully

New User
jay
Is it worth $750 to you?

How much have similar machines sold for recently in your area? For example, 15" planers sold on craigslist, ebay, etc. within a 500 mile radius of you. You can also compare it to new machines that are in a similar class. For reference, a NIB motor for that planer sold recently on ebay for $250.

But at the end of the day, the first question is the most relevant.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Is it worth $750 to you?
That's what I'm trying to determine. I cannot decide that in a vacuum.

How much have similar machines sold for recently in your area?
How would I know that? One might list something for $500 and sell it for $350 and I would never know unless I was part of the deal.

Sully

New User
jay
Within 500 miles of you a Jet 15" planer sold for $900 and a NIB Steel City sold for $933. Both were on ebay.

cpw

Charles
Corporate Member
Within 500 miles of you a Jet 15" planer sold for $900 and a NIB Steel City sold for $933. Both were on ebay.
Alright. I figured out how to find that. It helps a little, but I don't really trust ebay as a barometer of market value. I've seen too many things go for waaayyy more than they should have due to auction fever. I ended up buying a brand new Concept 2 rowing machine because the used models on ebay kept selling for $150-$300 MORE than the cost of the new model.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I wouldn't pay more than $600 and that's based on two things. One is that a new 15" planer from Grizzly is $1139 to your door, and two is that I bought a powermatic m15 a couple of years ago for $400, which was a real good deal, after they were asking $600 for it.

I've always done good with the 50% max. of value idea. Once it gets to 75% I will buy new for other reasons.

Good luck,

J R

New User
Tool Crazy
Original cost is irrelevant. Some used machines are worth MORE than their original cost.

Go by the current price of a equal machine and assume that all bearings, belts, rollers & knives need to be replaced. If you are capable of replacing these parts yourself, most woodworkers are, 40 -70% of the current cost is reasonable.

If you would have to have someone replace the parts for you...buy new.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
street price on that machine when they were making them was $ 900 - 1200 depending on the dealer and a myriad of factors.

your best bet is to find something comparable sold new and base your pricing based on that.

with that said unless your absolutely need the 2 inches the dewalt 735 is the way to go, that or bump up to a 20".

the 735 was a game changer and imho the reason these 15" floor model planers went by the wayside.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
street price on that machine when they were making them was $ 900 - 1200 depending on the dealer and a myriad of factors.

your best bet is to find something comparable sold new and base your pricing based on that.

with that said unless your absolutely need the 2 inches the dewalt 735 is the way to go, that or bump up to a 20".

the 735 was a game changer and imho the reason these 15" floor model planers went by the wayside.

I agree with what Phil said to a certain extent as I was looking for a DW735 when I bought the PM-15. Because evrybody is going for either a DW735, or a 20'', the used prices have dropped heavily on the 15" market. The main reason that I went with the 15" over the DW735 is that it is much heavier duty than the DW735 and takes more of a beating when doing lots of bd/ft of wood. The upside of the DW 735 is how well it works on figured wood and the disposable blade set-up.

As far as the DW being portable, I believe it's questionable because it's almost 100 lbs. and the cost with i/o feed tables and stand is about $700 new (amazon), so it's not inexpensive and it's still only a 15 amp planer. I beilieve that you can do better with a 15" model if you look around a little.

Good luck,

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Well, these are just tools made to do a job, so all you need to do is look at what comparable machines are available for retail and then adjust for condition, parts availability and whatever other factors you deem important (country of origin ? color ? brandname ? unusual features ?).

Grizzly 15" planers are around $1100 delivered.

My other recommendation is to always look at what you would get by going a step up (e.g. Griz 20" is $1750 new delivered) and a step below (e.g. JPM13 or DW735 for $7-900). Look at used here too, if available.

Ebay is a pretty valid source for comps. Anything that's sold on CL can be sold on ebay. Cross-postings are not uncommon.

I'm not sure I agree the DW735 is a "game changer", but regardless, it's been in the market for years, so whatever effect its had on the planer market - 15" and otherwise - has been reflected in the market.

-Mark

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Having a stock number goes a long way in determining new cost. The 22-675 is a Taiwan formula 15" planer that's pretty well made for what it is. The bed if fixed and the motor is on top. My 1998 price schedule shows it as listing for $1503.00. Street price was probably in the range of 1200 -1300.

Condition of a used machine is everything. $750 would be a good value for one in mint condition with the knives still sharp. $750 for one that had been used hard, broken and left out in the rain is a different matter.

If you want a planer of that caliber and the bucks don't hurt too much for such a significant machine, then get that planer in your shop and get to making things. Its the type that most recreational woodworkers upgrade to after they get tired of the screaming yellow suitcase skimmer. Its no Powermatic 180, but it wasn't meant to be either.

What you pay for something is between you and the seller. What you've got in your shop to work with is the big thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS