Workshop handiness

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
One of these years, I’ll probably have to move somewhere sans workshop. I’ll miss not being able to quickly make something that my wife needs. Today, she needed a replacement recipe holder. A scrap of white oak with a 15 degree bevel, some acrylic, three screws, and presto. Sorry about not clocking the screws.
0D870150-8745-4039-963F-DE707CF1233D.jpeg

EB10A655-991B-45E5-B8AF-FED04BD781DC.jpeg

ssmith

New User
Scott
Nice. A quick solution to getting it dirty on the counter. I shouldn't have read this near lunchtime though - that looks good!

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Two nice pieces! Maybe add a second piece of plexi behind the first and hold the recipe without splatter??

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Two nice pieces! Maybe add a second piece of plexi behind the first and hold the recipe without splatter??
Thinking maybe adding a second piece of acrylic in front hinged at the bottom for a splatter guard. The 15 degree tilt will keep it in place. Also making at least one edge wider to serve a a lift (handle).

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
One of these years, I’ll probably have to move somewhere sans workshop. I’ll miss not being able to quickly make something that my wife needs. Today, she needed a replacement recipe holder. A scrap of white oak with a 15 degree bevel, some acrylic, three screws, and presto. Sorry about not clocking the screws.

I know what you mean. Having a shop can address various small household needs that would otherwise require a time consuming and sometimes fruitless shopping trip. My wife commented that one window would be perfect for a couple plants. A piece of laminate-covered plywood, a little finish on the edge, and a couple of stapled-on rubber strips makes for a great temporary plant shelf. Shut and lock the window and the shelf is secure. That window is never opened anyway for various reasons. Now a full length shelf is being planned.
1    boxshelf - 1.jpg

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
View attachment 210741
View attachment 210740

Proposed adding a spatter shield as suggested and got a veto. She likes the simplicity and unobtrusiveness of the one that I made. Our workaday recipes are single sheet copies and if spattered, easily replaceable using the copier.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
View attachment 210741
View attachment 210740
You know all of us are going to become of the age (I am 78) where we are not going to be directly adjacent to our workshops. My hope is that there will be a shop where I can work by the hour or week or month to feed my hobby.

Michael D Edwards

New User
Michael
I’m such a dunce! I clip my recipes to a cabinet door. Never thought about a shop project that would get me out of the kitchen!#^$!! But eye level is nice, too.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors