Worksharp

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I've been considering one, but I saw a review by a couple different people complaining about runout or wobbling of the discs. Maybe with newer models?

If you have one, have you had this problem?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I kept mine just for doing freehand things like my scrub plane. After a dozen or so machines, I went to Veritas a gig and diamond plates/paper and strop. It is not perfect and the rubber washer can get a bit of dirt on it causing wobble, but all in all decent. I would say drop by and try it, but I don't think yo are close.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mine works great. I keep it clean and I replaced the sandpaper with diamond plates @ about $15 each.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I kept mine just for doing freehand things like my scrub plane. After a dozen or so machines, I went to Veritas a gig and diamond plates/paper and strop. It is not perfect and the rubber washer can get a bit of dirt on it causing wobble, but all in all decent. I would say drop by and try it, but I don't think yo are close.
You anywhere close to Blairsville GA?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have one and I use it. I think it works well. The motor in mine has evidently developed a dead spot, however, and I have to flick the wheel to get it started. I think it does a good job and it sharpens quickly. Like sanding, I want to spend as little time as possible sharpening. I have the knife attachment too but it is impractical to use with the dead spot so I bought a separate knife sharpener. It works but rounds over the tip of the blade if you don't shut it down with the tip on the belt. Kind of goofy. But it works as long as you use it as directed.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have one and I use it. I think it works well. The motor in mine has evidently developed a dead spot, however, and I have to flick the wheel to get it started. I think it does a good job and it sharpens quickly. Like sanding, I want to spend as little time as possible sharpening. I have the knife attachment too but it is impractical to use with the dead spot so I bought a separate knife sharpener. It works but rounds over the tip of the blade if you don't shut it down with the tip on the belt. Kind of goofy. But it works as long as you use it as directed.
What knife sharpener did you buy @JimD ?

joec

joe
User
Mine has the same dead spot. After the first stop, it will hang up and hum and not spin. I have to give the wheel a push to get it going.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors