WorkSharp setup in the shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
For theones that have the WorkSharp 3000 in their shops do you have a specific place for them with a nice setup or just sitting wherever you can find a place - if you have a nice setup could you post a picture of it I am trying to figure out where I would like to have mine in the shop - thanks

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Phillip

For about a year I stored mine in the original box on shelf and found that it was a pain getting it out and setting it up every time I needed to put a new edge on a chisel.:BangHead:

So. When I built my small miter station last year, I added a roll out shelf specifically to hold the WS. Now it is a lot handier as far as access is concerned and has worked out well. (The only downside is that I didn't make a provision for storing the additional wheels and sandpaper.)

100_29121.jpg

100_29111.jpg

Wayne

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Wayne, thanks for sharing. That is a cool setup - I didn't even think about the pull out I was thinking more about it being on top of the bench but your setup is better - I will see what I can come up with:icon_thum

Luckbox72

New User
Eric
No pictures, but for practice I built a basic chest with 2 pull out drawers on the bottom to hold it and all the parts.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
I have a dedicated sharpening bench loosely based on the Fidgen one. I keep the WS and my grinder on plywood bases with pull handle cutouts that I slide on the shelf below. I use a bench dog and the LV Wonder dog to secure the base (mainly for the grinder). Extra wheels, for both the grinder and WS, are stored in one of two drawers or on pegs attached to the legs. Been meaning to take some pics sometime.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I put mine on a pull-out-and-up typewriter shelf from a secretary desk with a drawer underneath for the accessories. The WS is a good choice for a swing-out table under a workbench because it isn't heavy and doesn't need to be terribly robust in use.

BoringStation-sharpeningShelf2.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Mine is just sitting on the bench, with the supplies in a cabinet above the bench.

Plans are to have a dedicated sharpening area, someday.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mine is mounted to a piece of 3/4" MDF that is slightly larger than the base. When in use I put it on top of the cabinet and clamp it down with a small clamp on the left corner. Then I can put the whole thing in a shelf under the cabinet when not in use. It is currently in the back of the shop, but I just had a utility sink put in the shop near the front, so I'm going to move it and the water stones nearer to the sink when that re-organizing round-tuit gets to me.

I'll try to remember to snap a pic of it soon.

- Ken.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks everyone for sharing - I am getting some great ideas - hope to get a dedicated place for it soon - hopefully near the lathe:icon_thum

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pictures as promised. I got it moved to the front of the shop near the utility sink so the waterstones can share space with it and all the sharpening supplies will be in one place.

When not in use it stores under the cabinet top.

And when in use I clamp it to the top for stability.

- Ken.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
I bolted mine to a bench hook so that I can move the WorkSharp around the shop as needed. 90% of the time it stays on my sharpening station. It is worthwhile to invest in enough glass plates so that you can put a different grit on each plate, the same grit on both faces. This allows you to do the back and the bevel at the same time, to gang up tools, and to reduce the time to replace the plates back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors