Worksharp 3000

Wannabe

New User
Vic
I've been debating for some time whether to purchase this or not. How many of you own this machine? Do you like it? All thoughts, pros and cons appreciated. Thanks.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I've had one for a few years, on a shelf, in my storage room.

One of my sharpening students asked a question about his and so I dug it out and was able to answer his question.
Then I started using it since it was out and all...
You know, it's kinda so-so. But then I bought some diamond plates for it and a leather disc to go on it and NOW!!!!
I like it, it has a permanent place on my sharpening bench.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
You know, it's kinda so-so. But then I bought some diamond plates for it and a leather disc to go on it and NOW!!!! I like it, it has a permanent place on my sharpening bench.

I liked mine a lot at first, but then I went through sandpaper like crazy. I got the diamond plates too and it has made the process quicker.

How do you mount your plates? Just back them up with the glass?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes, I actually used spray adhesive to mount both on one glass plate.
If I remember... I got 240 and 600 grit single sided discs. Actually I ordered 240 and got something that is closer to 320.
The 600 is fine enough to make chisels pare end grain. The leather strop makes it mirror finish.

And mounted my own piece of leather on another one.
Leather is too thick for the original screw so I made a longer one with a wood turned knob.

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I don't like sharpening any better than I like sanding. But my Worksharp 3000 does is faster than any other way I've tried so I use it. I am still using sandpaper, however. I probably should try the diamond disks. I think Stumpy Nubbs may have recommended them too. I use it on my planner knives too. But mainly I sharpen chisels or handplane blades. I think the Worksharp works well. It is not overly powerful, you can stop the blade if you push hard on the disk. But you shouldn't really push that hard.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There is a slotted wheel that allows you to see the tool as you sharpen it on the bottom of the wheel/disc.

Works great for carving tools and some turning tools but you really can't beat the Wolverine jig on a CBN wheel and 8" grinder for bowl gouges.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS