Working with Cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
The daughter of our closest friends wants me to make her a Hope Chest from real cedar. I hate working with the stuff because it gums up my tools and is so brittle. Therefore, I have never dedicated a lot of time learning to work cedar successfully. I am planning to use frame and panel construction for the sides - either flat or raised pane - haven't decided yet.

Would appreciate any pointers anyone may have about working with cedar. After all, she is our God-daughter, and I can't disappoint her.

Thanks for any feedback.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rick, my only advice is to wear a respirator - the fresh cedar smell give me a headache.

The cedar that grows near me (eastern red cedar) does not seem to gum up my tools, at least when I'm working the dry boards. Let me know if you need any - I have a lot of 5/4 x 5" 10' boards in stock.

Regards,

Scott

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The daughter of our closest friends wants me to make her a Hope Chest from real cedar. I hate working with the stuff because it gums up my tools and is so brittle. Therefore, I have never dedicated a lot of time learning to work cedar successfully. I am planning to use frame and panel construction for the sides - either flat or raised pane - haven't decided yet.

Would appreciate any pointers anyone may have about working with cedar. After all, she is our God-daughter, and I can't disappoint her.

Thanks for any feedback.

If it's gumming up your tools, it's not dry enough (check it with a moisture meter). Although ERC is pretty dry right off the log the lumber still needs to air dry before it's usable. I really like working with ERC, it's very easy to work with.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, thanks to Woodman2k I'm about to find out how it is to work with. I got some very nice ERC logs that I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with them.

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Could you build it out of another wood (I'm partial to cherry) and then just line it with 1/2" or so cedar? I built a wine cellar out of cedar and found that it's VERY soft. I'd be worried with a hope chest that the cedar won't hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS