working on a base for desks for my kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

thsb

New User
Tim
I am currently working on desks for each of my 3 kids. 1 is walnut, 1 is QSWO, and 1 is red lyptus (i think-got it at Hardwood Store a while ago).

anyway the tops are going to look like this:

base for desk.jpg

The link with a couple of other shots of this desk is here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/205362...uery=mid century modern desk&ref=sr_gallery_2

I don't see how it could have lateral stability. I like the fact that you don't see any apron spanning between the legs but there must be something there?

I also like this look but it was hard to find the u-shape base made of wood-it is almost always metal. i didn't know if there was another name for supports like that because i can't find much on how to build them. it seems they would have the same issue around lateral stability, along with other strength issues?

u shaped base.jpg

I am happy with what i make most of the time but sometimes i wish i followed a plan.....but not really ;-).
any thoughts appreciated. thanks, tim

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tim,

I agree - in both cases I am not sure how you keep them from racking (side to side motion...)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
On less expensive/crappy furniture this is used to prevent racking it generally does not do a very good job though.

main-qimg-e70a8587e8f6fea5446bff88629d0bd0

The guys are right all the legs should be tied together to prevent racking and spreading. There are a number of ways to do this from a wood working stand point.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Somewhere recently, I think maybe in Wood magazine, I saw an ad for metal plates designed for just this sort of application. I suppose in a pinch, you could "connect" the leg assemblies (first picture) across the tops with something like 1/4" x 2" steel stock, then attach the desktop assembly to that.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Look at all of the pics and zoom in. I see a leg splay from front to back but none from left to right which is the lateral stability question.

A ratchet and socket is needed to attach the leg assemblies. A clue about how to make this thing with lateral stability?

Legs and stretchers (1.5" x 1.5") with half lap joints.

Tim:leg_assemblies.jpg

The base/legs and build it up. ???

Tim:kids_desk.jpg

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was actually thinking about it last night / this morning and there is a Arts and Crafts table in the latest Fine Woodworking mag and they incorporated corbels (I think they were sliding dovetails or screwed dados to hold them in place)
they are decorative, but I think the design intent is to guard against racking....

thsb

New User
Tim
I like the idea of the lap joint but i am going to end up with a more standard support to avoid racking by using a fairly low profile stretcher to connect the two sides of legs up top and to connect the legs on the bottom as well. With the slightly angled legs in front, the stretcher nearest the front of the desk will be far enough back that it may not be seen too easily. I want there to be a little overhang on each side of the desk, rather than the desk below that looks kind of clunky in my opinion. So i think i have it worked out- there is a reason it is the tried and true method, I think. will send pictures soon. thanks for the helpful input.

alternate base.jpg

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the idea of the lap joint but i am going to end up with a more standard support to avoid racking by using a fairly low profile stretcher to connect the two sides of legs up top and to connect the legs on the bottom as well. With the slightly angled legs in front, the stretcher nearest the front of the desk will be far enough back that it may not be seen too easily. I want there to be a little overhang on each side of the desk, rather than the desk below that looks kind of clunky in my opinion. So i think i have it worked out- there is a reason it is the tried and true method, I think. will send pictures soon. thanks for the helpful input.

View attachment 17943

I agree that the lower stretcher is a good idea - it does take away from the "Mid-century modern" or what ever it is being called today (the back in my day furniture design! :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS