Workbench suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikeatcisco

New User
Spike
This was my first attempt at putting anything together, wood wise. I realized pretty quickly a few things

1) Its to wide, but great for storing projects while they dry
2) Clamping is a pain, especially for the routing. I just got a router and I was trying a few things. Clamping a board to test this with, to this table was next to impossible. Rather at least, I had to move the board/clamps after I already started.

Suggestions on the next one, or how I could change this one up?

bench.jpg

bench2.jpg

Rick M

New User
Rick
Plenty of good designs floating around, Kirby, Roubo, Shaker, Scandanavian, etc. Schwarz has several including the $175 workbench. Most are narrow with a thick top (3+ inches), front apron flush to the top.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
While you are building a better one, you might make a couple of improvements to that bench in order to use it during the new build. I would recommend filling in top by adding board under the top, along the front edge. That will provide something to clamp to. Maybe do the same under the back edge, which would give a clamping surface across the top, when needing a edge guide or stop block. Also, perhaps trim off the slight overhang on the top ends. At times, I prefer to be able to clamp to the end vertically.

Next would be to start reading. Christopher Schwartz has written several good books. Others have too. I did build a Roubo bench based largely on Schwartz's design and recommendations. Pictures in my profile. Actually, many of the members here have discussed benches, design, and posted pictures. Just do a search and gather the ideas that you like.

Lots of materials are recommended for bench. Price usually dictates. I was able to find some good oak beams left over from a construction job in the local penny ads flyer. Craigslist is also a possible source.

Good luck.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Spike,

Look at this thread for a possible free bench top:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52509

Also, I agree with Rick (Wormil), google workbenches and you will find a large number of designs. Some designs depend on how you work. If you use primarily hand tools, one design might be better than another design. If you are a Sketchup user or you want to be, the Sketchup warehouse has a number of 3-d designs that you can review in detail. You an get measurements from these designs.

For me, my first workbench was John White's New Fangled Workbench. I made this bench for less than $100, complete with vices. This was half the price of a bench my wife wanted to purchase for me, without vices.

Keep us posted on your quest.

Steve H.

John Weigel

New User
john
I have just finished a split top robo bench using Benchcrafted plans I do likke the concept and the split top sure is easier to handle I have the plans and you can have access to them is that is any help. My view is the bench is a tool as much as any other

Barron

New User
Barron
I love my Roubo I built with the Wood Whisperer Guild. It's essentially the Benchcrafted Split Top. Their hardware is pricy but works great. There are cheaper alternatives. The Schwartz book is great for developing your own ideas. A good bench makes everything else easier. One thing I would say is don't get to hung up on what type of wood to use. The design is far more important then the type of wood.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
As you've discovered, a good woodworking bench is essentially a giant clamping device. I highly recommend reading Schwarz's workbench books. One of them (blue one, I think) has a few chapters at the beginning devoted to the many different work-holding arrangements and comments about various work-holding strategies for each. Reading those pages completely changed my thinking about workbench design. I no longer cared about anything other than work-holding. Everything else, IMO, is a minor issue (visual appearance, type of wood, joinery, etc). I ended up with a rather unusual design, but there are many good examples in his books.

If I had your bench, the first thing I'd do is add some structural supports to increase rigidity (and weight?) and some better methods of clamping -- see how far that gets you. You may discover there are lots of work-holding methods you can use on your existing bench, which should help you decide if you want to undertake a new bench project. I know I've become more creative in how I approach my work-holding problems.

Chris

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Spike - I agree with Chris' thoughts - get a book, video and maybe even some shop tours!
Almost everyone is willing to show you their shops and benches - Ken (KenofCary) is close by, Bill Clemmon's shop is something to behold - and there are many, many more...

I am currently in a bench-rebuild phase myself.

Getting more work-holding and some other features into the bench...

So I started here;
http://paulsellers.com/
Paul builds a pretty sweet bench and reletively inexpensively in cost and materials, but I am trying to determine how much time and if and how I can adapt them to my current undercarriage...

Here is the first of paul's videos on you tube - BUT look at his blog - there are things he points out there that are not as clear in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru2ZiNs_Wek

Pyrut

New User
Jack
Hey ya'll, It ain't too wide if you,ve got room to work on all four sides. My main "bench" is about four by six feet. It serves as an offcut surface for my table saw, assembly bench, finishing surface and provides beaucop storage for eveything from c-clamps and jigs to dog food to tons of toilet paper - I'm married.
The upshot is, it's your bench, enjoy it and be envious like the rest of of those that have the super duper benches featured in the great workshops of Fine Woordworking Magazine.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Hey, Spike,

There are at least two workbenches being built in Cary, because I am working on a new one here as well. I used Lon Schleining's book, "The Workbench" to get ideas, and ended up with something I am calling "The Big Ash Workbench." It is kind of a split top Roubo hybrid, with a wood screw leg vise and a twin screw chain drive vise on the end. This is my first fresh start at a workbench since I put a sheet of OSB across two sawhorses many years ago. I think my (soon to be previous) workbench still has that OSB sheet down inside the top somewhere. I found that I really have learned what I need by working on it and then modifying. Getting a solid undercarriage to keep it from moving has been a goal, and there are probably some things you can do with your legs and supports to tighten yours up.

If you want to compare workbench notes with a fellow Cary-ite, let me know.

Bill

Len

New User
Len
I keep meaning to build myself a workbench, but just can't find a 'Roundtooit' to get me started. So I'm still using the antique B&D WorkMate 400 I talked about back in 2009 in this thead about mortising.

Oh, almost forgot, I do have a set of Narex mortising chisels these days.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Chris M (merrill77) has a great Sketchup model of his bench. very well organized and dimensioned.
I'm sure he'll share it with you and even if you don't follow it precisely it will be educational.
It was for me.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris M (merrill77) has a great Sketchup model of his bench. very well organized and dimensioned.
I'm sure he'll share it with you and even if you don't follow it precisely it will be educational.
It was for me.
Chris - is that sketch-up model out here somewhere?
or can you share it?

thank you in advance!

minnehahas

New User
Gary
I agree with all of the above. I read both Schwarz books. For some reason I really liked the Nicholson Design and built one recently.

http://logancabinetshoppe.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/wide-construction-lumber-for-a-workbench/ has some great information also.

Pictures of my recent bench ( you can make it much cheaper using metal vise screws from Lee Valley and/or Lie-Nielsen ).

Made with SYP from local lumber builder supply and some left over walnut. Nicholson is very simple construction techniques and for me that was a good selling point as I am a rookie.

NicholsonBenchFront.jpg

NicholsonCenterStorage.jpg

NicholsonWagonVise.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors