Workbench saved...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
So my brother sends me a text today and a picture... wanted to know what the square holes were used for on this bench.

27268.jpg

So I told him. He was just curious as the bench belonged to his wife's grandfather. He was a German immigrant in the late 1940's and was a master woodcarver. He was sponsored by some company to come over and do custom furniture carving in the High Point/Thomasville area. The bench had been left to his father in law who recently passed away.

He then told me that they were cleaning out his house and that the bench was going in the dumpster. I told him no way that was going to happen. So he brought it to me this evening from Knightdale.

20181010_221924.jpg

It needs a little TLC but WOW! It's sitting on a metal stand but I know that's not how it was originally. I can make a base no problem. A nice Columbian tail vice that works so smooth it's hard to believe. I'm tickled...

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW, is right. Great save and congratulations on adding it to your shop.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Makes you wonder how many of those great tools have ended up in dumpsters due to ignorance. Great save.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
1-wood_planes_and_wood_062.JPG

1-wood_planes_and_wood_046.JPG

1-wood_planes_and_wood_058.JPG

1-wood_planes_and_wood_049.JPG

1-wood_planes_and_wood_071.JPG

Similar story recently around my son's house in Atlanta. Bench and some German planes needing help. Once restored, these planes are a joy to use.

I think that bench top has endless options. What ever your direction, keep the bench nice and HEAVY.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS