Workbench project: completed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Re: Workbench project: a few finishing touches

Unbelieveable.............that is one awesome bench Monty.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I really like the way you built the cover for the twin vice. Thanks for sharing all of your progress with us.

D L

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member

DaveO said:
.....That really makes your bench a hand crafted work of art. I have seen many benches but that sets yours apart as one of the finest. .......
Dave:)
Wow do I agree with that:eusa_clap

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

You are really starting to suck. That cover for the vise is very impressive looking.

So, when do the cabinets for under the bench start?

woodguy1975

New User
John

Travis Porter said:
You are really starting to suck. That cover for the vise is very impressive looking.

Geez, don't give him another reason to delay working on his rocker.....

Hit it dude!!!!!!!!!! :D

:slap:

John Reeves

New User
John Reeves

Monty,

That is an absolutely amazing work of craftsmanship. I have just completed my own workbench so I appreciate the extreme detail that you accomplished.

Fantastic work.

John

Monty

New User
Monty

Thanks for all the kind words. And thank you too, Woodguy. :slap: :lol:

Some of you may know that I drew up some plans for this project back in April, when I was still waiting for wood. I used this as an excuse to learn CAD, and in the process I ended up with a pretty decent set of plans (IMHO, of course). I figured I would post the plans as a downloadable PDF once I had a chance to verify that it was all accurate. Well, I completed the constuction and I didn't see any errors (well, not in the plans at least). So, I uploaded the plans for all to see in the Downloads section of this site. The link is here.

If you choose to use these plans, be aware that I am not a professional woodworker, nor am I any kind of expert at drawing up plans. You should adopt the old Ronald Reagan cold-war approach when using these plans: "Trust but Verify". ;-) These plans are probably not the best or most organized plans you'll find, but they're definitely worth every penny you'll pay for them!!! :mrgreen:

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Those plans look really well done :eusa_clap I'm printing them off right now to file in "Hope to Make Someday" file. Thanks for making the available.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger

Monty, you take "attention to detail" to a new level :eusa_clap

Roger

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames

Travis Porter said:

Starting to????? I thought he was already pretty proficient at it.:lol:

D L

DavidF

New User
David

'Nuff said about the vise cover; I love his little sliding door in the tool tray!! I just put two holes in mine and they arn't worth the sawdust that came out of them when I drilled them!!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Travis Porter said:

I want to know that also! Its not done until it's done!!:-D:-D:-D:-D

Nice work- I'm still inspired and as soon as the back bench and cabinets are done I'll likely start on the WW bench. Really nice work.

Monty

New User
Monty
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but since I completed this project I've had some people ask for the total board feet required. I promised to one day add it all up, and I wanted to included it here for the sake of completeness. So... here it is for those who may be interested:

Code:
	Description	No.	T	W	L	BF	Subtotal
	Top slab	14	2    	2 1/2	75 1/2	36.7	
	Top slab: back	1	2    	5	75 1/2	5.2	
	Front apron	1	2    	6	77	6.4	
	Rear apron	1	2    	6	77 1/2	6.5	
	Left end cap	1	2    	6	33	2.8	
	Right end cap	1	2    	6	33 1/2	2.8	60.4

Vises							
	Front vise jaw	1	4	6	18	3.0	
	End vise jaw	1	4	6	27	4.5	7.5

Trestle base							
	Trestle Foot	2	4    	3 1/2	28	5.4	
	Top piece	2	4	3	23 1/4	3.9	
	Trestle leg	4	4	3	29 1/2	9.8	
	Stretcher	4	2    	4	50 1/2	11.2	30.4

That leads to a grand total of 81 board feet in this project. Keep in mind that's finished dimensions (going by the final dimensions listed in my plans from the downloads section). If you look at the rough thicknesses of the boards it adds up to about 98 bf. I think I actually purchased somewhere between 110-120 bf in all, and had little scrap left over.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I didn't know what to think when I saw this old thread come back into circulation ...

Thanks for that add'l info Monty. Hopefully later this year I can start on a bench!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS