Workbench gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I had the pleasure of taking delivery of a ~50 year old hard maple patternmaker's benchtop from Tarhead this evening. It is HEAVY to say the least. Pictures are below from the original post Tarhead made. I will post pics when the camera comes home and will also update as I get the top in shape for an excellent workbench top.

This is the Real Deal! Used for ~50 years in a patternmaker's shop in Norfolk. It's solid hard Maple with lots of character as is but should finish out to be a very nice workbench top if you put forth a little effort. The boards are attached with 4, 34" through bolts so it will be simple to separate into individual boards, refurbish each on a jointer and planer and bolt back together on a flat surface. The bottom surface has not been used.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
That looks really nice. I'm sure you thanaed Mark for parting with your new gloat! I would love to see your refinishing work!

Chris

MikeH

New User
Mike
It's going to take some work, but it will eventually be my workbench. I will post WIP pics.

J

jeff...

That thing is so heavy it cracked the floor 8-O.
IMG_1978.JPG

looks like an awesome maple bench in there.

MikeH

New User
Mike
There are actually two pieces in the pic if you look closely. My piece is on the top and the other has the legs attached. Mark told me today that is was all one long piece and the people that had it before he got it cut it in half. My section alone is 69" long.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Sweet Bench! Now you'll have to be on the hunt for a nice pattern makers vice to put on it! Need to keep it authentic, you know!:lol:

Congrats Mike!, Now we'll have to see how well you do keeping it from becoming a storage shelf!

MikeH

New User
Mike
Sweet Bench! Now you'll have to be on the hunt for a nice pattern makers vice to put on it! Need to keep it authentic, you know!:lol:

Congrats Mike!, Now we'll have to see how well you do keeping it from becoming a storage shelf!

It is laying on it's side at the moment and I definitely can't pick it up by myself 8-O so it is safe for a little while.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
"That thing is so heavy it cracked the floor :shock:. "

Nope, the floor cracked into quarters 2 days after they poured it and didn't put stress relief joints in it like I requested...but what do I know????:-(

Congrats and thanks Mike on the workbench in progress! Get a back support belt and a forklift! I'm moving slow this morning!

MikeH

New User
Mike
"That thing is so heavy it cracked the floor :shock:. "

Nope, the floor cracked into quarters 2 days after they poured it and didn't put stress relief joints in it like I requested...but what do I know????:-(

Congrats and thanks Mike on the workbench in progress! Get a back support belt and a forklift! I'm moving slow this morning!

Mark sorry to hear about your back and sorry about the ATM yesterday. Talked to a friend at the convenience store near me and she said it's been like that for several days. It will let you put your card in, start the transaction and THEN tell you its temporarily out of order. :eusa_doh:

Toddler

New User
Todd
I'd be careful about an ATM doing that. Watch your account to make sure it's not somebody trying to steal your magnetic code and password.
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS