Workbench Build (Roubo/21st Century Mix) - UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, I still haven't decided on a design ... but I'm leaning to a Roubo-style bench, probably with more modern spins though ... maybe the 21st Century Workbench design Popular Woodworking put out. Not sure yet ...

However, one thing I do know is I want the top 6' - 7' long ... so this weekend I make the first two baby steps to prepping the lumber for the top. First I chopped them to just over 7' long, then I jointed one side in preparation for ripping on the bandsaw (that comes next).

IMG_03031.JPG

The wood is 10/4 maple that I picked up from The Woodworking Source (thesource) in Mooresville. Some of it is a little ambrosia ... which should make for a pretty top where it shows thru. A few of the pieces are VERY heavy as they are 10/4 (2.5" thick) and 10" wide and 8-9' long.

IMG_03041.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

I can tell this will be another SLOW moving project for me ... but where I can steal time, trust me I will! And I'll keep you all posted on the progress!:gar-La;

Last edited:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Re: Workbench First Steps

Please keep us posted, looks like a great making for a great bench.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken

Good luck an can't wait to see the finished product.By the way what kind of BS you got,it's gotta be a monster :wink_smil

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Pretty good start judging from the stock.

How thick will you make the top? Maple top and base or secondary wood for base? Accent wood to go with the maple - vises/aprons/cabs? These don't affect the bench planning I'm just curious. :wsmile:

You know what kinda work you do and will make the right decision on bench design. I have figured out a few things I would like since building a first but I still remember how much work it was so I'm not ready for a second one yet. :gar-La;

Looking forward to the progress pics.

Beautiful stock BTW...did I mention that? :icon_thum

Chuck

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

Planning on a 4" thick top about 7', or so, long. Was planning on making the base from maple too (unless there is a reason not to). As for dressing up the sides ... I might just do that ... maybe a sapele, padauk or jatoba.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

Planning on a 4" thick top about 7', or so, long. Was planning on making the base from maple too (unless there is a reason not to). As for dressing up the sides ... I might just do that ... maybe a sapele, padauk or jatoba.

I would suggest not sapele. It's kinda soft and will get baged up fairly quick on a bench. that thang is gonna be heavy

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

I would suggest not sapele. It's kinda soft and will get baged up fairly quick on a bench. that thang is gonna be heavy

I was thinking the same ... glad you said something or I might have convinced myself otherwise!

I also have some Ipe I picked up from bluthart... not pretty, but hard as a rock!

PeteQuad

New User
Peter

That popular woodworking bench is cool - if I were doing one I would lean in that direction also. There's great documentation on the steps too which would help.

Any which way you go, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes along.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member

I can tell this will be another SLOW moving project for me ... but where I can steal time, trust me I will! And I'll keep you all posted on the progress!:gar-La;

Cool project!
So, how's the rocker coming along?
Oh and how about the bookcase Heather wants?

:rotflm: :slap:

OK - I just scrolled down and found your rocker post. :embaresse
It's looking very good! :icon_thum
. . . . but there's still the bookcase issue!!!! :wink_smil

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

Cool project!
So, how's the rocker coming along?
Oh and how about the bookcase Heather wants?

:rotflm: :slap:

OK - I just scrolled down and found your rocker post. :embaresse
It's looking very good! :icon_thum
. . . . but there's still the bookcase issue!!!! :wink_smil

The rocker is about 90% I feel.
The bookcase ... well, she couldn't wait and bought one. Check that off my list! :eusa_danc However, I do need two bookcases in our bonus room eventually!

bluthart

New User
Brian

OK Fred P, you've smitten my intentions... I have a ton of 8/4 - 12/4 Sapele that I was going to make a bench out of. If you don't think it will hold up, then I will have to back up and punt. How about Jatoba? Do you think I could do it 3" thick so I can actually move it off the floor? I happen to have a bunch of both. Thanks!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

OK Fred P, you've smitten my intentions... I have a ton of 8/4 - 12/4 Sapele that I was going to make a bench out of. If you don't think it will hold up, then I will have to back up and punt. How about Jatoba? Do you think I could do it 3" thick so I can actually move it off the floor? I happen to have a bunch of both. Thanks!

Oh, it'll work fine man. Heck, pine will work. In fact, the Sapele is harder than Hard Maple (which is harder than what I have). The Jatoba (Braz. Cherry) would be a bear (not on my tools!) and would dull everything.

It's just not the prime candidate and probably not as tough as others.

MikeH

New User
Mike

That is going to be extremely heavy. Is there a reason you're going so thick with the top? My top is 2 7/8" thick, 69" long and 36" wide and the only way I can move it is with a jack and dowels under the feet. I can't budge it otherwise.

Does anyone have a unique way of making your bench mobile?

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

That is going to be extremely heavy. Is there a reason you're going so thick with the top? My top is 2 7/8" thick, 69" long and 36" wide and the only way I can move it is with a jack and dowels under the feet. I can't budge it otherwise.

Does anyone have a unique way of making your bench mobile?

3" would work ... but I have the wood and cutting it any thinner doesn't give me any more (most boards aren't quiet 6" wide). The Roubo uses a 4" thick top (some older ones even thicker). The main idea is pure mass and stability. The top will be heavy, but not unmoveable by any means (about 300lbs by my very rough guesstimate).

As for portability, that will be the old "grab and drag" I think (just like I do now). Hopefully won't have to move it much, as I make the bench the center of the shop the way I'm setup. Another idea is to do what Norm did a while back after visiting another guys shop and add some folding wheels (they also have this at the place where Charlotte Woodworkers meets). Like this:
gs-bench-casters.jpg

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

Jeremy great timing!
Remember lots of pics, lots of updates....
And if you need a home for any extra ambrosia..... ahem
I'll see what I can do:gar-Bi

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member

Jeremy,

A new workbench is high on my project list, but haven't decided on a design. I just got the CD on the 21st century workbench and like the top, but no necessarily the base. I've also been trying to decide on what kind of wood to use. So I'll be following your progress closely.

Rich

scott

New User
scott

Not unique but here is an idea I've seen before.
On one end of the bench mount 2 wheels on the SIDE of the bench where they will just barely clear the floor when the bench is sitting flat.
Centered in the opposite end of the bench, just off the floor mount a securely anchored eye bolt.
Now the magic piece that makes it all work: AKA "the lizard". Start with a piece of wood approx 6' long. For a work bench a 2X2 would work nicely. On one end mount a "J" hook. Just above the hook mount 2 small wheels. You should be able to put the hook through the eye bolt, push the handle towards the floor and as the lizard wheels lift the hook and eye bolt off the floor it pivots the whole bench up onto the wheels on the opposite end of the bench. You then have basically a tricycle type arrangement and you can tow it all over the shop.
The strenght of the components used to do this should reflect the weight of your bench. EX; an 800 pound bench would need heavier components than a 200 pound bench. If it weighs less than 200 pounds just man up and snatch it off the floor without building all this stuff.

We used a similar set up to move heavy machinery of various types in one of my previous lives. It will allow one person to move a lot of weight with little effort and without tilting the bench to extremes in any direction.

One of the woodworking magazines posted a similar article on this some time back but I can't remember which one.
My $0.02
scott

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

Every good woodworker deserves a sturdy workbench. :dontknow: why I have one.....:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS