Woodworking show returning

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
They say the Woodworking show will return in 2023. Last one I went to in Baltimore was pathetic. Over half not woodworking but cheap sales. Sorry, I did not go to a woodworking show to buy gutters. Of the other half, half of them were pen turners. The gentleman who owns Peachtree was ill, so they were not there.

Sure would be great if the machine tool makers would haul their stuff out that we can only see on-line right now.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
They say the Woodworking show will return in 2023. Last one I went to in Baltimore was pathetic. Over half not woodworking but cheap sales. Sorry, I did not go to a woodworking show to buy gutters. Of the other half, half of them were pen turners. The gentleman who owns Peachtree was ill, so they were not there.

Sure would be great if the machine tool makers would haul their stuff out that we can only see on-line right now.

what Woodworking show?

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
The Klingspor Extravaganza in Hickory on October 21 and 22 is a great one to go to! NCWW will have a large booth there with lots of demonstrations. There will be a full day's worth to see. Several of us will be there both days! It's definitely worth going!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've been to the Woodworking Show in Charlotte a few times. The last time was about 10 years ago. It's a bit of a drive from Raleigh, but worth the trip to see the demos. They usually have good deals on featured items. I bought a Tormek sharpener, 14" Delta bandsaw w/riser, and Incra fence for the table saw there over the years.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
It has been a few years but I have been to Charlotte and Baltimore in the same year. Charlotte is good but Baltimore is phenomenal. Very large, lots of high quality vendors including Veritas and Lie Nielsen. We combined the visit with a DC trip and stayed in Tysons. Hal taylor did a demo

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Been to Charlotte multiple times, Chantilly (DC) twice, Fredricksburg (also DC), and Atlanta (once each). Before the internet, this was the only place to see vendors in action. In last years, visitors would see vendor go to trouble and expense of setting up and manning a display, then get out their phone an see if Amazon was cheaper. If Amazon was cheaper, then guess who got the sale? It got to where I called them trinket shows ( mainly Peachtree), only buying the small things that cost more to ship than to purchase. Did like the free demo's. Three biggest purchases over the years was two Forrest WWII's, and Dubby from Jerry Cole. Many times, we would go as a group, and enjoy each others company.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Is this the show where Tormek would often send a rep with a sharpening system to show how easy it is to use?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
In years past, NCWW was given booth space at the CLT show and it was used to advantage. I think other local clubs also were allowed booths for free as well. As the demographics of the WWing community grays out, and the younger generation shows a marked lack of interest in the field as well as the inability to purchase high end power tools, the shows become loss leaders for the big guys and more a social gathering event as pointed out.
Nonetheless, I do intend to get to Hickory. Already got my hall pass............

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Will someone let us readers know when the show promoters release their 2023 schedule? Baltimore is too far plus I'd be afraid of getting mugged and robbed, but I would go to a Charlotte show.

On this general topic I attended the International Woodworking Fair in Atlanta in late August. My 2nd time. It was a huge disappointment! There were virtually no "retail" vendors who sell the types of tools we serious hobbyists buy and use. Saw Stop, Triton, Milescraft, Laguna were it. The few who were there weren't stocked to sell products at the fair, much less offer fair discounts. Everything was huge commercial machinery I made my complaints to the IWF marketing department, and I won't go to another show unless the retail stores and manufacturers are back in the exhibitor mix.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
They have cut there circuit in 1/2. Charlotte was dropped many yrs ago. I have been to Atlanta ,Baltimore and Chantilly. Enjoyed the first two as there are lots of seminars. Chantilly was dissapointing

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
The Baltimore show is at the Cow Palace in Timonium Md. It is a suburb of Baltimore and is very safe. It is fairly remote hence we usually just sray near Tysons in Mclean VA and just drive over. They also have a very nice Amish Market nearby with great food and very nice Furniture made in PA.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Baltimore show is at the Cow Palace in Timonium Md. It is a suburb of Baltimore and is very safe. It is fairly remote hence we usually just sray near Tysons in Mclean VA and just drive over. They also have a very nice Amish Market nearby with great food and very nice Furniture made in PA.
One of my wife's co-workers recently moved to Delaware so I may be able to leverage a visit to that one..............

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS