Woodworking machinery auction Saturday

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Interesting sharpening/polishing station.

1661350754962.png

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Looks like that auction may be worth someone's while to attend.
The Wallace mortiser looks rebuildable. A couple of pretty good bench grinders there also. The spindle sander may be good. The Delta DC380 planer may be a good rust removal project. The Clausing drill press looks worth restoring but who knows until its observed in person. Lots of rust to get off. The Invicta jointer could be a good deal on a 12” jointer. Anybody that gets that little Yates 6” jointer isn’t going to believe how heavy it is. A few clamps there worth having. The 3-phase Oliver planer is a later import. Interesting stack of lumber on that trailer.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
So many interesting things. So far, far away.
There were a few things that interested me so I took a ride (1.25 hours) on Friday to the preview. Typical farm shop - open buildings with lots of stuff laying around. I decided to go back Saturday thinking maybe I could get a deal. It was crowded - maybe 75 folks attending. first hour+ spent on the typical boxes/piles of misc stuff. As far as equipment - there were some deals but not many.

I was interested in
1. Clausing drill press - everything was rusted tight on it, missing the original switch, not sure how well the variable speed worked. It went for $300 - WAY more than I wanted to spend on it.
2. Oliver spindle sander - this was 2004 manufacturing period and was offshore. It had an oil leak in the ossicilating mechanism. Went for $500 - again way too high for me.
3. Delta belt/disc sander - Taiwan made. #300

Other stuff
1. JD Wallace mortiser $100
2, Whitney table saw $525
3. Large bandsaw $200
4. Sunhill dust collector $370
5. 24" planer $6700
6. Dewalt RAS $110
7. 3 phase converter $800
8. Craftsman RAS $50
9. Yates 6" jointer $100
10. Jet 22/44 sander $600
11. American 698 TS $50
12. Delta dust collector $270
13.. Jet dust collector $475
14. sawstop $1100
15. Invicta 12" jointer $900
16. Craftsman RAS $50
17\ Delta Planer 15" (?) $700

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Rick, thanks for taking the time to give us a thorough recap.
It looks to me like the Wallace mortiser and Invicta 12" jointer were the best bargains.
Radial arm saws just don't have much resale value these days.
You made a good call on the Clausing drill press.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks for the recap, Rick. You're right, those prices are higher than I would have expected, given the condition and location. If someone was in the market for a Sawstop, that might have been a good deal, depending on condition. By any chance, is this price (24" planer $6700) a typo?

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Thanks for the recap, Rick. You're right, those prices are higher than I would have expected, given the condition and location. If someone was in the market for a Sawstop, that might have been a good deal, depending on condition. By any chance, is this price (24" planer $6700) a typo?
No Bill someone really wanted that planer. I would say the saw stop wasd wasw
as in fair condition. Top was completely rusted but not a lot of pitting. Also looked to be some extra brake modules with it. The gizmosity of saw stops would have concerned me given the general condition of the equipment.
Bob - I would have brought the clausing home for $50. I had some interested in the bigger stuff but no longer have the means or energy to deal with them.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I had some interested in the bigger stuff but no longer have the means or energy to deal with them.
LOL. Yeah, that happens as time goes on.
You're right, that drill press was a $50.00 kit that needed $5000.00 worth of parts and labor.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I've never had any luck at auctions. In my experience the items are always either junk or there are folks willing to pay 25% or even 50% more than me. I stopped going to them years ago.

I don't really want restoration projects. I want a tool I can use more or less right away or with a reasonable amount of cleanup.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Depends on the restoration and the tool. The best ones are tools where replacement parts are not easily had...... unless you did your homework and realize the parts are common and can be acquired.
I have restored all sorts of machines. TBH- cleaning, prepping and repainting is the hardest and most time consuming part.

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Quality USA-made machines are hard to find for sale in running condition these days. That's why the competition at auctions often gets stiff for the good stuff. It only takes two bidders that have been wised up from their Taiwan Tool experiences.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS