Woodworking Axioms

cmarzahn

New User
Chuck
Remember the concept of axioms from geometry class?
It was a category of knowledge that was characterized by its consistency.
Things you didn't have to learn over and over or, in other words, things that are always true.
It could be a great help to collect some of those that apply to woodworking.

Here's one to start off:
"Always sand with the grain"
If you don't you'll create a lot of extra work for yourself.
Following the grain of your work produces cleaner work with less effort.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Not exclusive to WWing, but one I learned from a friend, who said his kid's scout troop used it
"Beware the blood zone"
Consider where that tool will go if it slips, your hand slips, or the cut is complete.
Applies to almost any tool - knife, axe, hatchet. machete, chisel, screwdriver - and to every body part (yours or someone else's).

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Always make an extra leg, apron, etc. when building furniture. It only costs a little more in material, and if you mess something up it'll save you hours if not days in work from not having to mill up more stock, joint, plane, glue, etc.

Just like bringing an umbrella guarantees you it won't rain, making the extra piece will magically protect you from making mistakes. The spare part will also be useful for years to come as a reference/ model for other projects.

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
When asked (especially by a significant other) "How long will this take" factor in a 2X time of the project in the hunt for the tool you need and JUST had in your hand a moment ago!

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Ran across this over at Down to Earth Woodworking and thought of this thread. It's a list of things to consider when dealing with family. That relationship can have a huge impact on projects and workshop success. I've heard some of them before, but I'll give credit to DTEW and Steven Johnson for pulling them all together.

- The kitchen sink is not for washing paintbrushes.

- Bowls and glasses from the cupboard are not for mixing finishes.

- The washing machine is “verboten” when it comes to shop rags.

- Cleaning saw blades in the dishwasher is not cool.

- A squeaky hinge or sticky door is not enough reason to rip out all the kitchen cupboards and build new ones.

- The “inside” vacuum cleaner stays inside – no using it in the shop.

- If you promise to build something for your mother-in-law, do it… no procrastination. There is no more important “client.”

- Shop clothes are not to be confused with “going out to dinner” clothes.

- All couples have at least two sets of friends. Do not assume your spouse’s friends are as interested in your shop as your friends.

- Copious arguments start with one person saying, “I love that table, I want to buy it,” and the other person saying, “I can build that better and cheaper.” Don’t tread there… you can’t, and you won’t, and it will take forever.

- Never bring a project into the house unfinished. You won’t.

- Hair dryers are for drying hair, not drying a finish or disassembling a glue joint. Buy a heat gun.

- When your spouse makes an extravagant purchase, keep the receipt… it will come in handy the next tool you buy.

- And perhaps the most important tip of all - try not to look like you are having as much fun in the shop as you really are.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS