Woodworking Axioms

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Kinda similar This is one I teach in safety classes:

Think about what you are going to do, then plan how you want to do it Finally, remember this mantra every time you pick up any power tool " this tool can hurt, maim or kill me if I am not focused where the cutting edge is and where it is going" .... then begin

Every time you pick up a sharp tool or start up a power tool go through the mantra, "Where's the blade; where's my hand."

Last edited:

23tony

New User
Tony
Not exclusive to WWing, but one I learned from a friend, who said his kid's scout troop used it
"Beware the blood zone"
Consider where that tool will go if it slips, your hand slips, or the cut is complete.
Applies to almost any tool - knife, axe, hatchet. machete, chisel, screwdriver - and to every body part (yours or someone else's).

A lesson I learned very painfully a couple years ago when working with a chisel.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If anything worth doing is worth doing well,
quia non sequitur,
Anything not worth doing is not worth doing well?

The first 90% of any project takes the first 90% of the time/money.
The last 10% takes the other 90% of the time/money.

The ultimate truth for any project management:
"Murphy was an optimist"

Over-estimate how long it will take and you then have the time to do what you want.

If you want a new table saw, bring home brochures for motorcycles or sports cars. ( I'll take credit for this one)

I could argue with Clay on some of his collected rules. Over a few beers of course. :)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I always love (and cringe) when someone goes "Wow! you made that?, it looks like a professional did it..." or "wow that looks awesome, you should do this for a living" ......... uhhhh ..... :rolleyes: :D

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors