Woodworking Application for Electric Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I have a nice GE 1/2-hp 1750 rpm electric motor that I am wanting to put to some good woodworking application. It has a single 1/2-inch shaft with a flat for a set-screw.

How can I put this motor to good woodworking use? I can't stand having a perfectly good motor and not having it earning its keep in woodworking.

Thanks for any ideas.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
In the disturbingly large number of tool/machine making books I have, disc sanders seem to be very popular uses of spare motors.

Or, adding a drum sander to it.

Thats a good low speed motor, so a bench grinder using grinding or buffing wheels would be good.

Or, look at one of those reasonably priced mandrels sold in most woodworking supply stores. You can put a pulley on the motor and then drive the mandrel shaft. Some come with a key on one end and a screw thread on the other.

Nice thing about 1725 grinder is its slow enough it won't burn tools (as much as) a 3600 rpm motor.

Any tools you are "missing" in your shop? We might be able to help you come up with a plan :)

Jim

timf67

New User
Tim
Grizzly sells parts for converting motors to good use. You can get some parts and put it to use as a buffer/polisher. there are also plans out there for making your own belt sander or disk sander, but not sure if 1/2 hp is big enough for that. Good luck, and we want pics of what you come up with!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have the item at the top of this page:
http://www.intarsia.com/Hardware.html
on a dedicated 1/2 HP 1750 RPM motor.

EDIT - I typed that in quick without adding an actual recommendation:
I am glad I have it that way. I had the sander attachment for a long time with a 1/2" shaft in it that I used in the DP and it was not nearly as convenient, partly because of the hassle of set up, partly because IMO it is easier to use horizontally than vertically and partly because I was more space constrained where I commonly keep the DP and it is a pain to move it.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Whoah, sweet, thanks for the tip Tim!

This is a much nicer mandrel than I've seen in the stores.

h8025.jpg

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-8-Heavy-Duty-Portable-Shaft/H8025

Where is my credit card....

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS