Woodworking and the Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSuther

New User
Stan
I've been curious about the effect of the economic downturn on those who earn income either full time or part time in some aspect of woodworking (excluding carpentry). I don't want to get into the eternal debate about ruining a good time by selling your work. That's the way it works for some and not for others. For those who do earn money from their woodworking business, I'd guess that most of that is paid from customers' discretionary income which I'd also guess is somewhat slim for many potential customers right now. I'm a REALTOR and find that there are buyers still out there but fewer than we'd like and at lower price points for a variety of reasons. Any parallel to the woodworking business?

So, how's it going out there?

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I don't make my living doing woodworking, but rather by selling to those that do woodworking.

The current economy is dreadful and downright scary by all accounts I hear from customers.

Our sales are off and those of new equipment vendors are even worse. When you have places like Klingsplor who's primary business is selling materials to be used in woodworking by professionals shutting stores and not making that is a serious indicator!

For the first time anyone I work with can remember, high-end shops are experiencing a slow down. That's incredible when the Uber-Rich aren't dropping money like it's nothing!

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Last time I looked at the numbers I am actually up for the year but that's because I've worked harder on the selling end. When looking at individual selling venues they are down between 20 and 30%. Could be a lot worse. So many shops are closing that when things turn around I look for there to be plenty of business. That is if I survive.
Rob

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
IBTL!!!

I am in Home Construction and we haven't met our projections for the last 12 month period.

Al Millman

New User
Big Al
I like Robert have seen a down turn in my business to the tune of 20-30%. That was until last weekend and we saw and increase of about 15% at over last year at the same venue.:eusa_clap The people were mostly from Florida on vacation or up here (Beech Mtn.) for the summer. I must say we are trying some new venues this year and I guess that might skew the numbers a little. Only time will tell and hopefully this Christmas season will be a little better. I want to remain optimistic and keep working toward a good year no matter what.

Big Al

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
I work for a High-end custom home builder.We haven't started a new home in 9 months.But we are on the verge of getting 2 new houses to start soon.But during the past 9 months we had to lay everyone off but the superintendent and myself.The only thing that has kept me busy was a steady stream of furniture orders from previous wealthy customers and a set of kitchen cabinets done for cost for my bosses nephew.At least I have been fortunate enough to get a steady paycheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS