woodworkimng screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
When talking about preferred wood screws the discussion can get in the weeds pretty quickly as there are many many types of screws out there and they each have their followers/users. And of course much will depend on what application you are using as to what type screw may work the best for you.

You can go online and search for sites that can explain all the special ins and outs....i.e., www.mcfeeleys.com use to have pretty good guidance to help in selecting the right screw for your needs.

I have found that using #6 and #8 square drive, steel/zinc screws in 1 1/4" - 2" lengths works best for most applications for me....furniture/plywood subassemblies, etc.. Go for a coarser thread for plywood, particleboard, and other "soft" woods. Use finer threads for hard woods. Check the specs on thread depths on the box or web page. Screw lengths will vary based on the thickness of your wood.

I have also determined, in my personal case, that drilling pilot holes is wise, particularly in hard woods and/or near the ends of boards. Trust me on this.

Curiously the local big box stores here in Moore County do not carry much of a variety of box quantities of these screws. You may find them on occasion but I buy in bulk quantities (100 - 500 ct) on line as they go on sale. As referenced above McFeeley's is one online source. Great selection/sometimes pricey. A couple of other sources are:

www.fastenersuperstore.com
www.valuefastener.com
www.mscdirect.com

Be forewarned, some of these sites require you to dig deep to find just what you may be looking for but keep working it and you should be able to find what you want.

Hope some of this helps.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I know I am using the wrong wood screws in my work.

What are you using and how do you know that they're the wrong type screws? Today's modern wood screws come in a wide variety of configurations so you'll find better performance that'll suit your needs.

I like square drive screws because they don't cam out when driven and the screw won't fall off of the square drive tip (good for one handed driving).

https://timbertech.wikispaces.com/file/view/A+Guide+to+Modern+Screws.pdf

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
For historically accurate furniture I use plain steel or brass slotted countersing head wood screws.

If I don't care about historic aspect then I use phillips.

490-977-1.jpg efded9d2-abbd-458f-bbbe-07d2436005bf_1000.jpg

and always clock your screws

Last edited:

zapdafish

New User
Steve
+1 spax and carried at Home Depot. I love square/star drive screws. I believe Ace hardware may carry them too.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Doesn't anyone use Twinfast screws? Its a double helix and they power drive very fast. I've been using them since the 1970s but my ample supply then is now diminishing.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I mostly only use screws where they won't be visible or on projects where I don't care if they are visible, deck screws fill the bill.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

W Burton

New User
Bill
I have had really good luck with High Point brand square drive screws, sold at Woodcraft. It isn't easy to snap the head off of these screws, even with power drivers. They say they will take about twice the torque of a regular wood screw. I use them for all kinds of things, but especially on jigs and fixtures. They are so strong I will take a jig apart after use and throw the screws back in the bin for reuse. The only limitation is the lack of sizes available. But most lengths are available in a #8 which I use most anyway.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/8-x-1-1-4-highpoint-xt-square-drive-woodworking-screws-flat-head-dry-lube-100-piece?via=573621f569702d06760016d3%2C57641fb169702d3baa002477%2C5764229d69702d3baa002554

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
At an auction a couple years ago, which had some furniture factory items, for some reason I bought a small pallet of assorted size wood fasteners similar to the High Point brand square drive screws. The boxes were unmarked just handwritten paper with the word screws on it. They hold great for me, so if the ever run out, I'd look to the High Point style.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Whatever kind of screws you are using, they always drive easier if you put some wax or soap on the threads. Here' a tip: use chapstick. I always have a tube handy.

jhreed

New User
james
I was introduced to Robertson head screws when I lived in New Brunswick. Why do they still make slotted screws? Using them requires a broad range of cuss words. Phillips is not much better. I really prefer star drive. They never cam out and can be driven one handed. They square drive or Robertson is a close second and is cheaper than the star drive.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Nobody has mentioned combo screws. They are square & philips drive. I perfer square drive, but if someone else is going to work with this project I give them a break and use the combos so their philips screwdrivers will work.

Pop

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
​I'm with Pop! I only use combo's!

Nobody has mentioned combo screws. They are square & philips drive. I perfer square drive, but if someone else is going to work with this project I give them a break and use the combos so their philips screwdrivers will work.

Pop

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Woodworkerssupply also carries a big variety of screwsfor different applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS