Woodworker's Guild

Ted P

Ted
Corporate Member
Folks;
I was in Greenville, SC last weekend and happened upon a place called Greenville Woodworker's Guild. They have an amazing facility with many large tools, materials for sale to members, classes, etc. Membership is quite reasonable.

Is there anyplace similar to that in the Raleigh area that anyone has heard of? None that I have.

Ted

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ted, I love here and I think it is ludicrous to spend $400 (yes it is $400 for your first year)
Then $150 (yes VERY reasonable) for access to this shop...
Now, you are correct there is a HUGE advantage of the tools and discounts on materials for members, but I live in Greer (40+ minutes away from the shop) so it is not an advantage to me.
Additionally, I know some of the personalities there which is another factor that have many in the area choosing not to be a part of it!

As for the Raleigh area I think you have a few maker spaces, but nothing like the Sawtooth School for Visual Arts (@JosieAtSawtooth) has: https://www.sawtooth.org/studios/wood/

Ted P

Ted
Corporate Member
Thanks for your reply,

I imagine there are personalities to avoid in any organization. I was told that one has to be checked out on each style of tool before being able to use them which may take ??? time.
I hadn't thought the $250 initiation fee was too bad considering the price of purchasing the tools at home. Collecting tools is of course part of the mystique of any hobby.
5 hours away is a bit far for me, but were I to move I'd seriously consider a trial membership vs building a 24 x 36 shop to house my current tool collection (but there's still that need to collect).

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for your reply,

I imagine there are personalities to avoid in any organization. I was told that one has to be checked out on each style of tool before being able to use them which may take ??? time.
I hadn't thought the $250 initiation fee was too bad considering the price of purchasing the tools at home. Collecting tools is of course part of the mystique of any hobby.
5 hours away is a bit far for me, but were I to move I'd seriously consider a trial membership vs building a 24 x 36 shop to house my current tool collection (but there's still that need to collect).
"Need to collect" LOL (I am pretty sure it is a disease, at least according to my wife!) LOL

Yea, 250 wouldn't be bad, but it is $400 to start (first year $250+$150) in Hanks world, I would charge you $100 to get you in the door, get you trained-up, then get you to pay me monthly $20 (or some amount) on auto pay...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS