Woodturning - Spindle gouge techniques

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I enjoy watching Richard Raffan. It seems I always learn something or see something I want to try.
I the video below he "Turns a bowl with a spindle gouge"
But what is REALLY interesting is he shows a push cut and a pull cut and some tool technique that is really helpful.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I didn't watch the video but it looks like a shallow bowl. It's my understanding that spindle gouges do not have the correct heft /tang length to be extended safely over the toolrest into the bottom of a bowl.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I didn't watch the video but it looks like a shallow bowl. It's my understanding that spindle gouges do not have the correct heft /tang length to be extended safely over the toolrest into the bottom of a bowl.
You really shouldn’t extend any tool deeply over the tool test.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That being said…
The technique Mr. Raffin displays exerts much less pressure on the tool due to the shearing cut being used.

If the bevel were up as some turners try to use it then the force would be multiplied and directed much more in a downward direction and the tool could bend or break.

I have two tools for medium deep (4-6 inches) hollowing. Both are 3/4 inch diameter or better. I use them to rough out the bowl (I always turn dry wood) then follow up with a proper bowl gouge.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
yes, but really any time.
I guess I want to see how you hollow a bowl or a hollow form without extending over the tool rest the depth of what ever you are turning???

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Here is a good Pic of a curved rest inside a bowl. They can be used on the outside to follow the shape of the bowl as well.
For hollowing there are all sorts of options to make the work safer, such as articulating arms, captive tool rests, arm braces, super long tool handles etc. You will also see square shaft hollowing tools which are designed to stay flat on the toolrest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902-144759_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220902-144759_Chrome.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 58

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I keep looking but all I can find are little bitty ones.
Mike, the one I used from Lee Valley is just an example. I know Teknatool makes larger ones and Rockler has some that are 9 inches long and longer if I recall correctly.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Mike Could try this as a fix -mic the diameter you got and then look at using tubing to sleeve it larger. I had to do this recently and ended just shy by .002-003 which was fine. Run the tubing over the shaft with epoxy. Easy fix

I need 1.490 diameter x 6 inch long plus the screw for the cross piece.

1.25 is the largest diameter they sell.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mike Could try this as a fix -mic the diameter you got and then look at using tubing to sleeve it larger. I had to do this recently and ended just shy by .002-003 which was fine. Run the tubing over the shaft with epoxy. Easy fix
Yeah they want to sell me a custom sleeve for $59.95.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I keep looking but all I can find are little bitty ones.
I turned a 8" deep vessel on a Jet mini or midi lathe and never thought I lost tool control...
I see when you have an "open form" (bowl, platter etc.) it is feasible, but working off the tool rest and understanding / learning tool control is great for when you need to hollow a deep vessel where you can't use a curved rest...

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
LOL I bought a piece for my tools rests, worked like a charm. Was out about 8-9 buck, However, now I still have about 2 ft left over.......
what to do with the left over piece :rolleyes: :D
Yeah they want to sell me a custom sleeve for $59.95.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I need 1.490 diameter x 6 inch long plus the screw for the cross piece.

1.25 is the largest diameter they sell.
Do you need a 1.5" diameter tool post or 1.5" diameter tool rest? If it's the post what other toolrests do you currently have that fit your banjo?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Do you need a 1.5" diameter tool post or 1.5" diameter tool rest? If it's the post what other toolrests do you currently have that fit your banjo?
My banjo has a 1 1/2 hole for the post. The post has to be .010 under 1 1/2 to fit. My tool rest is solid steel 1 x 1 1/2 x 12 inches welded to the post. I looked at buying a new banjo but I think it was over $300.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS