Woodturning Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is fast approaching the March 3rd and March 10th woodturning classes at my shop in Mount Ulla. The below are signed up.

mquan01 - Mike
Rick_b - Rick 3/3
golfdad - Dirk 3/3
jgpncll - Jeremy 3/10
Bear Republic - Steve 3/3
Darryl 3/3
Barnes 3/10
Ted 3/10
Raymond 3/10

Things to bring if you have them (I have enough if you don't):
Safety glasses or face shield
Turning smock or apron
Fingernail or Ellsworth gouge

Coffee at 8:00 AM
Class starts at 9:00 AM

See you soon!

jgpncll

New User
Jeremy
I just sent payment for my spot on the 10th. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend because of my son's first Pinewood Derby race that I would not miss for anything. If anyone would like to attend in my place please take my spot without feeling the need to pay. I committed to the class before I was aware of the Pinewood Derby. But, if I commit to something I follow through. I regret that I will not be able to attend. I just hope that someone can attend in my spot.

Thank you Steve.

I will definitely attend a class in the future. You have some beautiful turnings on your website and I would truly enjoy learning from you.

jgpncll

New User
Jeremy
Anyone interested in attending in my spot at no charge please let Steve know as soon as possible. The spot is already paid for, I just ask that you notify Steve asap.

Thanks!

The first class is in the books. It went really well. All four attendees left with 2 finished green bowls. Thanks for coming. I hope you had as much fun as I did! Class 2 is next Saturday. We have one paid slot open. Please let me know if you'd like to attend. The tuition is already paid.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
A big shout out to Steve for a well run class. Left with loads of knowledge gained. Thanks also to his wife for some great chili.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
The first class is in the books. It went really well. All four attendees left with 2 finished green bowls. Thanks for coming. I hope you had as much fun as I did! Class 2 is next Saturday. We have one paid slot open. Please let me know if you'd like to attend. The tuition is already paid.

Pictures? Gotta have pictures!

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
I had a great day - I haven't turned in a lot of years and never actually turned a bowl. I came away with lots of pointers/pieces of knowledge that has me enthused to continue. Hopefuly Steve will offer a second level class in the future. The class size was perfect - lots of individual attention from Steve and his son Nathan. And a great chili lunch :).

Rick

Darryl

New User
Darryl
Great class!!!! I had never turned on a lathe much less turn anything. Steve is a thorough instructor and offers a wealth of information for us beginers and for the more advanced student. It was worth the three and half hour drive each way and i would (will) do it again. Thank you again Steve and Nate for the great job an Saturday.
Darryl

Thank you for the feedback on Saturdays class. I am looking forward to the class this coming Saturday. Pennie has agreed to make her chili again and Nate will be there to help. We have one paid opening available. Want to spend the day turning with us? We will turn two green bowls and learn techniques that will help you in any turning endeavor. Let me know if you would like to attend.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
I'll take that final spot if it is still available. I will have to put in for that day off but that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks.

The second woodturning class was completed yesterday by 3 wonderful students. One of you left a camera. Please let me know who left it and I will send it to you.

I was a little disappointed that there were 2 no-shows. I'm sure something came up but a heads up would have been nice.

Everyone made two bowls and practiced push cutting, not the easiest thing to master but well worth it when the skill is developed. There are some budding bowl turners with new skills out there now.

Thanks to all for two successful bowl turning classes.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Really enjoyed the class and the learning experience - it showed me how much more I need to learn about turning. Never had turned a bowl before and I learned there is a longer learning curve to it than I thought. Controlling the tool is so much more important than it appears and that will take quite a bit of practice - just like using a skew to do fine finishing - so too, learning to use the "Ellsworth style gouge" to do push cuts will take a lot of practice. I got a lot out of the class but I know there is so much more to learn through practical application.

BTW: the chili was great!

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
[FONT=&quot]Sorry for not posting sooner, been swamped. Actually wrote out a long review and my browser glitches and lost it, TWICE![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steve and his son Nate showed some great hospitality and put on a great class. Having just taken Charlie's Segmented class and then Steve's was a great opportunity to learn from Master's at their craft. Steve reviewed how he turns green bowls in a very straight forward manner and then turned us loose. I haven't turned since I was in Junior High, but with Steve's instructions I was doing good. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There were two things that made the workshop great, besides a great lunch and meeting everyone. Steve went around to each of us looked over how we were doing and provided refreshers, tips, techniques. That greatly sped up the learning curve. Second was having great equipment! Steve has a Turner's dream shop and he's expanding. In between giving advice also, Nate showed off his sharpening skills with the assortment of tools. We always had fresh sharp tools to work with. I learned to feel the blade getting dull, and 20 seconds later had a sharp tool again. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]At the end of the day I was feeling very comfortable and learned what it was like to "Ride the bevel"!. I was very satisfied with what I was able to accomplish with the great instruction. I fully recommend everyone to take advantage of the knowledge and skills of our fellow members. I took a couple pictures and will post soon.[/FONT]

TDeal

Tim
Senior User
I obviously haven't checked in to NC Woodworker often enough, as I would have loved to have participated in these classes. Please let me know if you offer more in the future. Thanks,

Big Ted

New User
Ted
Steve,
Thanks for a great day! As I indicated at the start, I had done almost nothing on a lathe other than turning it on! Learned so much in such a short time - looking forward to your next class!
Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS