Woodturner's Stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Roscoe

New User
William
My back and hips are beginning to show some signs of wear and tear so I was thinking it would be nice if I could sit and turn. I haven't seen anything on the market for woodturners so I'm wondering if this might be a bad idea. Has anyone tried turning while sitting on a stool? It would seem that it should be taller than average.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I move with the tool so it would seem sitting on a stool would limit movement and put a great deal more stress on the hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders. Maybe there are other things you can do to help make turning easier? Change the height of the lathe to a better position? Use thicker/softer floor mats to relieve stress on the back and hips? Turn the lathe to face you when turning bowls, either swing head or turn off the end of lathe?

As a last resort sitting would require an adjustment to the height of the lathe. I would think about a chair with wheels so you can move freely and get out of the way quickly if something went wrong.

I know there are wheel chair turners, so it's not impossible. And OneWay makes a lathe that is easy to tilt for sitting or standing.

William Roscoe

New User
William
Those are some good things to consider. What is the height that most turners like their lathe? Mine seems too high but I'm 6' tall and the feet are screwed about midwayup the threaded part.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
This months Woodworker's Journal has addressed this very issue. Earnie Conover has a turning bench in this issue. There is also a you tube video I saw a few days ago. You aren't exactly seated on the bench you are leaning in it with your bum. This Gives you the ability to 'slide along'.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think most folks like the center height about even with your elbow. Some like it higher especially if you only turn spindles.

Seated that would not apply. Not sure of a reference point there.

William Roscoe

New User
William
Thanks Berta. I actually got that magazine a few days ago but have not read it yet. Mike, I'll check that measurement when I get home. Part of my aches may be from an improper height so I may not even need a stool.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
When I had a pen lathe I did most of that turning from a chair. I thought it was fine and when I bought the HF lathe I had I also turned from a very old and high bar stool. If you can find something that keeps your hand in roughly the same position it should be fine.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is one of our adjustable lathe benches that we use with our Outreach program. They can be easily adjusted for height and tilt to accommodate almost any need. They are also easy to build

000_0017_5.JPG

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
Are the plans for the adjustable lathe benches somewhere on the site or do you have a link to them?

Thanks.

-NCGrimbo

William Roscoe

New User
William
I just finished the current article in Woodworkers Journal and it looks like a good option but I'm still working on a new stance.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are the plans for the adjustable lathe benches somewhere on the site or do you have a link to them?

Thanks.

-NCGrimbo

Sorry, as with most of the stuff I build I just design as I build or maybe that is build it as I design. I was in a hurry so I never stopped to document what I was doing. You could borrow one from the Outreach trailer and do some reverse engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS