Woodslicer bandsaw blades

Echd

C
User
I bought a 3/4" woodslicer for my laguna 1412 a few months ago due to the widespread praise and acclaim they seem to receive.

I think I got a dud. I felt it cut slowly in hardwood and generally wasn't a great performer. Today it came apart at the weld. I don't overtension my blades nor do I leave them tensioned when not in use. I wasn't really a happy camper as I have a very small amount of board-feet through the blade and the vast majority of the use it saw was cleaning up rough edges on scrap wood and preparing small logs. Only once did I try to push it, resawing a 13" maple glue up into two panels. It did very poorly, but judicious use of a planer can hide many sins...

Has anyone else had a poor experience with the woodslicer? I didn't want to drop $150 on a 3/4 resaw king because I always sort of felt (without evidence) that 3/4 was pushing it for a 110v bandsaw. I have another 1/2" woodslicer somewhere around here I have to locate, but reassurance that mine was just a lemon would be nice. If the 1/2" woodslicer is a better performer overall for me I might buy a resaw king in that size.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 3/4" Resaw King blade on my 14" Delta BS. It has the 8" riser blocks so I can (and have) sliced veneer that was 10" wide. Best blade I've ever bought. Like you, I wasn't sure about putting a 3/4" on a 110V saw. I thought a 1/2" might be all it could reasonably handle. After talking with the sales rep he convinced me to go with the 3/4" since my goal was resawing. That's the maximum width the tires will take and I haven't had any issues. I de-tension the blade after use -- more to relieve the stress on the saw than the blade.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got a 1" Resaw King included when I bought my Grizzly 17" bandsaw from JC last month. Today was the first time I tried it. I cut 1" thick pieces of wet cherry that was about 8-9" wide, then I cut some of those to 1/4". It looks better than I had envisioned it would straight off the saw.

Attachments

• 1641079884071.jpeg
    1641079884071.jpeg
    591.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220101_182746.jpg
    20220101_182746.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220101_182827.jpg
    20220101_182827.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 115

Echd

C
User
I still haven't found my 1/2" but I did throw a 3/16" generic 4 tpi skip tooth on my saw just because I needed to process some scraps.

I'm doubling down on my 3/4 blade being a dud because the 3/16 was doing better than the 3/4 ever did. I was starting to doubt if I had the intelligence to set up a bandsaw previously, but now my Laguna is singing along and the ceramic guides I was previously so skeptical of are just dandy. I bet I had tried every method of alignment and setup one could shake a badly mangled stick at in my quest to get that blade to cut well, but now at least I know I'm not quite as stupid as I feared (still pretty stupid though). Maybe my blade didn't get heat treated, maybe it wasn't sharp, no idea. I'll see how the 1/2 does. Any company can put out a lemon, and 98% of what I do with a bandsaw can be accomplished with a blade suited for resaw, so we shall see.

That said the surface finish of a 3/16th 4 tpi blade is not what I want, but I knew that going in. Hopefully I can also soon see some of those nice cuts like yours. I don't mind spending money for quality (up to a point) and a resaw king would probably be a very long lasting purchase for me.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I have a 1/2 " 3TPI woodslicer for my 14" Grizzly with a riser block and it cuts beautifully

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I've used woodslicer blades for several years, I have on in my Rikon saw now, I do a significant amount of resawing, and my experience has been it's one of the best blades out there for my purpose. My blade is a 3/4" on a 110v saw. I've cut as thick as 10", most of my cuts run in the 6" range though, and no complaints... I figure the failed one is a fluke...

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I’ve used them and while never had one break, I was never impressed with durability. That said, I have a bad habit of using bs blades past their due date. And, I don’t use them just for resawing, I still thought they should last longer.

I‘be been more impressed with the Infinity blades, no question they last longer than Woodslicer - in my shop and in my work.

When I ‘m done with this one I’m breaking down and going carbide. It’s just the 142” length and the $200+.

Echd

C
User
A couple of months out from the last post on the subject but I did throw my 1/2 woodslicer on my bandsaw yesterday to process some cuttings from a Bradford pear I'm slowly reducing to wood shavings. It did a great job. Long term durability remains to be seen but the performance and the quality of the cut was far away improved from the 3/4 blade I had.

Whether a 3/4 is too much for a saw like this or not I won't speculate but the 1/2 is so much better that I am now even more inclined to believe I got one that was improperly or not sharpened or something like that.

bainin

New User
bainin
I use Timberwolf blades and they cut nicely for my needs - mostly soft woods pine/cedar.

Aside from that, I did have 1 snap at the weld and Timberwolf did a free replacement quickly. They didnt want the old blade back, as the picture of the snapped weld
I gave them was sufficient "evidence" . I think they are lower priced than the Woodslicer above- I bought a 5 blade combo set for about $150 iir.

b

Bill J

Bill
User
I have a 1/2 wood slicer on my Harvey and it is great. I haven;t resawn anything large but have done up to a 6" block.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS