Woods I am currently working with

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Hi All, Thought I would share some of the woods I am currently working with. Besides Mahogany, Oak, Cherry, Beech and Maple, I have a fair amount of other woods.

For some reason these are available in the Islands, Australian Iron Wood, Koa, mango and Monkey Pod, there are others I use Including Iroko, Afrormosia, Paduk, Katalox and Cumaru

I just started cutting and planing for a table(s) using this as the accent Afrormosia(African teak) and Iroko. Mostly because I have a bunch of strips of 1x3-1x4.

The Afromosia is a bit waxy to the touch and it looks kinda on the yellow side until it is oiled or finished then it gets more brown. But, the Iroko is a rich brown with nice graining and cuts and finishes similar to Maple. It's also is roughly the same hardness as Maple. It finishes out to a deep color similar to Black Walnut.

I enclosed a pix with a piece of white Oak for reference. I ll post pixs of the table as soon as it is done

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    940.1 KB · Views: 191

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The Iroko looks beautiful, almost like teak. Should be a nice looking table!

bbrown

Bill
User
Great to see these unusual woods. I do like Katalox as an ebony substitute. Where do you buy these?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I bought a bunch of wood at a closing business auction. I ended up with about 1500 bd ft of wood 65% is oak and 3 types Mahogany. The rest is just some really random stuff, I ended up with about 18 different types of wood.

Katalox, since you are on the mainland there is a company in California, I ll see if I can find the name, they sell Katalox and the Mexican/Central American Rosewood for a pretty decent price.

@Chris C out here in Hawaii, we occasionally get Pallets made of Teak........ not the greatest quality but, free is free.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
here is the test mock up is showing it in better light and I put some olive oil on it so it would photo better. # 3 is the tops back side so you can see it is mahogany
mockups (1).jpg

Attachments

• mockups (2).jpg
    mockups (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 124
  • mockups (3).jpg
    mockups (3).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 107

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS