Woodguy's cabinet class

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I had alot of fun this weekend and I learned a ton! His class is geared such that anyone with any skill level will succeed and learn something. John's cabinet technique is very simple and very easy. His tips on wood selection and grain matching alone were worth the trip. If you have ever had an inkling to make cabinets and want a solid technique this class is for you!

Thanks John!

A side note: The door and face frame are made from some walnut that I had purchased from John (in the rough) in March. It wasn't much to look at and I was very curious as to how it would look after planing. It turns out that there was some beautiful grain hiding in there! I can't wait to see how it looks once I finish it.

cabinet4.jpg

Monty

New User
Monty
That's a nice looking cabinet you made there! I like the way that sapwood runs down the middle of the panel.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice. Obviously the tips on grain matching lead you in the right direction. I'm with Monty, the bookmatch on that raised panel is awesome. Please show some pictures when you get a finish on it, it's gonna look spectacular.
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Great looking cabinet Chris.:icon_thum I am glad to hear the cabinet making class went well. How many other students were there?

D L

M

McRabbet

I can vouch for the good class -- I took John's first class and it was a very rewarding experience. I like Chris' use of walnut for the door on his cabinet -- I made one using soft maple that I really like and it has become the prototype for more cabinets for my shop.

Rob

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Thanks all. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I got really lucky on that walnut.

D L Ames said:
Great looking cabinet Chris.:icon_thum I am glad to hear the cabinet making class went well. How many other students were there?

D L

There were 5 of us total.

cskipper

Cathy
That turned out really nice Chris! You get a thumbs up (even if you failed your lunch assignment :lol: )!

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Sorry Cathy, my pockets weren't quite big enough for the Hawk!

I'm trying to figure out what to finish it with. Since I'm not investing in an HVLP unit at this point, i'm limited to brush/wipe on finishes. Does anyone have advice on a brush on lacquer? I was looking at the Deft lacquer.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
For something as limited as one cabinet I would consider using a few rattle cans of spray lacquer. You're bound to get a better finish on a multi angled surface like a RP door than with a brush. My .02, Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
It was a good class. Things flowed very smoothly and the guys did an excellent job. I think everyone walked away a satisfied customer. :)

cskipper

Cathy
stoneskippers and I dropped by and raided the trash bin and scored a couple of great pieces of wood! Chris, I guess WG made it even more difficult to get to the Hawk - do you think he's about to need it to find a home - or moving it behind tables to make it more difficult to remove?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, from the sounds of all these happy customers it's obvious John needs to crack the whip a little bit harder!! No Pain, no Gain :lol: :lol:

Seriously, it sounds like an interesting class.

I also like the looks of the walnut raised panel. I have used Deft Clear Wood Finish aerosol (at the Borg) on a few recent projects and believe it would do a nice job on the cab.

Chuck

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Chuck and DaveO,
I agree that the spray would probably be best. Part of me wants to check out to see how the brush on looks as sort of a test run for my kitchen cabinets. I'm sure not going to try to do my whole kitchen with rattle cans therefore brush on is the other option. And if brush on doesn't look so good, it may be time to go HVLP....
But since I don't have a compressor, that increases the cost significantly.

woodguy1975

New User
John
HVLP is the way to go. If the cab. class was a day extra long we could have prefinished the parts as I talked about. Even that cheap HVLP system from Rocker with the small turbine will spray lacquer.

Thanks,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors