Woodguy's Benches, firsthand account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I had the pleasure of spending the day in Woodguy's shop for our chairmaking class today. It was a very complicated day, hand rasping the spindles for our chairs. This was a very complex operation, an if it we're for the inspiration provided by the penguins carved into the benches, I don't think I could have done it. :mrgreen:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:-D :-D :-D :-D I bet those pattern makers vices really came in handy :eusa_danc

Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
DaveO said:
:-D :-D :-D :-D I bet those pattern makers vices really came in handy :eusa_danc

Dave:)

I should have made 4. While the guys were comfortably rasping away I was using dog holes and my chin to try to hold my spindles while I rasped. :-( I tried to get them to walk away from the benches for a minute so I could steel one, but no dice. LOL

The vises were just what we needed for the spindles. As Steve said, it is a complex and labor intensive process. The vises and spokeshaves make life a lot easier.

John

I'll get the few pics I took up tomorrow... actually I guess that would to today. LOL

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
The benches and vises are awesome, just having a little fun with John regarding the penguins:mrgreen:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
So, anything you would change about the benches now that they have been broken in? Any regrets in the pattern makers vises or you "wish they would do"? Speaking of which, where did you get them? I intend to build a new bench in a few months, and am undecided whether to use a pattern makers or a I guess it is called a front vise.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Travis,

From my perspective as a user, the benches are terrific. The height, mass and stability are great. I would definitely do the pattern makers vise, their versatility is amazing. The only thing you give up with them is the ability to recess flush with the edge of the bench and clamp long boards directly against the edge.

If I were doing the bench for my own shop, I would make them longer but John did that intentionally because he was putting several in the shop.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Steve D said:
The benches and vises are awesome, just having a little fun with John regarding the penguins:mrgreen:

LOL, the famous penguins. :) The most asked question on NCWWer. Where are the pnguins. LOL

Steve is right about the benches. I would make them a little longer if I was making one. I'm going to mount an end vise on at least one of them. Life would have been a lot easier with another 6" of length. For the space that they sit in they are perfect. Longer would have actually causeed an issue with some of my alternative bech layouts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS