Woodguy's Bandsaw Moving Party (Feb 10th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Ok guys and gals,

In order to keep everyone on the same page I've decided to start a new thread. I'm going to have to keep it happening on Saturday for the official move. We'll get going officially around 1 o'clock and I'll get the food to show up around 2 o'clock.

Folks Coming:
Tarhead
Skippers (2)
Monty
PeteM

I've got things arranged so I will have an all terrane extension forktruck for the move and think I should be able to pick it up on Saturday morning so I don't have to risk sliding it back the rollback. Two guys from my maint. department at work are going to help us out with the forktruck operation. They are used to moving heavy machinery with me. Well, with me watching :D

I'll also pick up a chain hoist and some other chains to help secure the saw as we move it. This is a massive peice of machinery so I figured the cost of the rental was worth it for everyone's safety.

Who else is coming for sure???? I need rough number so I can order the food for the event.

I'm planning on ordering BBQ so I hope everyone is good for that.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
would love to be there but i will be almost to ft worth by sat mornin. hope all goes as planed. lookin forward to pics.

fred p

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Ok guys and gals,

I'm planning on ordering BBQ so I hope everyone is good for that.

Thanks,

John

Put in your call as soon as you get your number of movers to Wilber’s Barbecue, Goldsboro Wilber Shirley 4172 U.S. Hwy 70 East Goldsboro, NC 27534-9242 (919) 778-5218.

For goodness sake, don't serve good pork with tomato paste on it.:crybaby2:

Seriously, I'm one lucky native son... I love 'em both.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I'm sorry to say they are slim to non existant. I have no exotics at all in the dumpster. I've got some figured maple and cherry sat out for whoever wants it, but that is about it.

See ya,

John

woodguy1975

New User
John
Anyone else coming....

I've got a grab pile of wood all setup for you guys too. :lol::lol::lol: BTW, the real work getting the saw in will probably be done before the party. :) I wouldn't be that hard on you guys.

I've spent the past two nights cleaning shop and rearranging.

See ya,

John

Last edited:

woodguy1975

New User
John
Foods Ordered, Forktruck is Rented.....

We are all set. We'll have Butch's BBQ. We have them brough in to my work all the time and have never been disappointed. :)

Free BBQ, low labor.... I can't beleive we aren't having 50 over.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Must have pics. Must have pics of John figuring out how to reduce height of bandsaw or increase ceiling height..

Good Luck!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Aw come on. Yee of little faith. :)

The top wheel has over 10" of travel. That should let me drop the top wheel well below 8' for use. Now getting it through the door is another story, but I think I have that one figured too. :eusa_thin:eusa_thin It will require removing a few things, a fork truck, chain hoist, pallet jack,.....

I did manage to build the skid and get the 3 spindle shaper on it by myself last night ready for departure to the garage until it's sale. :slap:

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Aw come on. Yee of little faith. :)

The top wheel has over 10" of travel. That should let me drop the top wheel well below 8' for use. Now getting it through the door is another story, but I think I have that one figured too. :eusa_thin:eusa_thin It will require removing a few things, a fork truck, chain hoist, pallet jack,.....

I did manage to build the skid and get the 3 spindle shaper on it by myself last night ready for departure to the garage until it's sale. :slap:
get 2 pieces of 1&1/2 in schdule 40 PVC and slide it in.
Make sure someone is on the other end to stop it.
That's how we move commercial roof Top AC units.

woodguy1975

New User
John
get 2 pieces of 1&1/2 in schdule 40 PVC and slide it in.
Make sure someone is on the other end to stop it.
That's how we move commercial roof Top AC units.

The problem is with the top wheel and wheel cover off the tension post is still over 7.5' tall. I'm probably going to lay it down and stand it up once in the shop via chain hoist and fork lift.

Anyone else coming for this event???

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
The problem is with the top wheel and wheel cover off the tension post is still over 7.5' tall. I'm probably going to lay it down and stand it up once in the shop via chain hoist and fork lift.

Anyone else coming for this event???

John I may have asked this question before but I have been wondering something.
Let me take this slow because that's how I think, slow.
I have a 14" Jet.
The first thing I did after buying it used was to put a riser block on it because that was the fad at the time.I have since never had the need for the riser I put on it.
Of course the reasoning for the riser block is to be able to cut larger stock.
Now taking all that into consideration.
IIRC the Big Iron you are the proud owner of is a 36" bandsaw.
I realized you "engineered" how you were going to get it into your shop before you purchased the saw.
It would seem to me that getting the saw into the shop is only a minor "inconvenience" because it only has to be done once.
What I am wondering is what is your plan to get the HUMONGOUS pieces of wood the saw is capable of cutting into your shop on a continual basis.?
Inquiring minds want to know, well at least I do.:eusa_thin
Is there a fork lift purchase in your future?

woodguy1975

New User
John
What I am wondering is what is your plan to get the HUMONGOUS pieces of wood the saw is capable of cutting into your shop on a continual basis.?
Inquiring minds want to know, well at least I do.:eusa_thin
Is there a fork lift purchase in your future?

LOL!!!!!!! I have the saw in line with my doors so I can just feed it in. As long as it is no longer than 20 ft I can handle it. :) Just kiddin.

There probably won't be many big slabs sawn on the saw. My intent is to use it very similar to the way you use you 14" saw. Primarily making curved cuts. The beauty of the 36" is I have enough clearance to support my stock on the throat side of the blade instead of hanging it over the edge. Ok, ok, ok..... It is a hugh peice of american made iron that I just had to have for no other reason than that. :rolf::rolf::rolf: In fact I bought the saw hoping I could get it in the shop and figured it out after the fact how to make it happen. :slap::slap::slap: Lord help me if I ever have to move.

Eagle, you coming to eat BBQ and watch us struggle???

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS