wooden vessel sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhett

New User
rhett
It is an interesting idea. I'ld like to see it. I guess it would need a marine epoxy finish?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The Japanese torpedoed the Yanmar (it was carrying a load of lumber ) in Appalachicola Bay FL during WW II. It sank.
If the weight of the vessel is more than the volume it displaces in the fluid or gas it is floating in it will sink.

Summary: I guess I don't have a clue as to what a "vessel sink" is. Kitchen sink, laundry sink, heat sink I understand. I have seen laundry tubs, buckets, and water troughs made of wood, but have never made one myself.

Go

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
clarification may be in order, guess I didn't read into it that hard.

A sink, made of wood, often turned (segmented) or square 'bowls' made for use as a sink basin.

cskipper

Cathy
That does make it clearer. Unfortunately, I have no experience with this or even know where to look. Will eagerly await progress reports!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Pete, check out these. They don't look to hard (the square ones :-D ) It looks like mitered corners with radiused glue blocks. The few sites I saw, mentioned a multi-layer varnish finish, I would consider an epoxy myself.

http://www.bathroomvesselsinks.com/wood-sinks.asp

You might consider making one (if it's gonna be rectilinear) in a bandsaw box style, where you cut off the bottom and then the insides. You could join the bottom in the method used to make wooden water troughs for water stones.
Once your "box" is cut out, with the bottom removed. Take a piece of metal rod about a 1/8" dia. and hammer it into the bottom edge of the "box" sides. Then plane the bottom of the sides flush with the depression. Attach the bottom of the box with nails or screws, and once whetted the compressed wood fibers created by the depression of the metal rod will swell and create a water tight seal. I saw Frank Klausz do something similar at a TWA meeting...so it has to be good :icon_thum :lol: :lol:
Dave:)

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks DaveO! I had seen that method used once on The Woodwright show... but making it as a bandsaw box.... that would be one LARGE chunk of wood, - real neat idea:eusa_thin good thing I know where to find an 18" bandsaw:lol:

I had seen the ones on that link before.... I like 'em, may make a square one, client hasn't decided on shape yet. I am thinking, and she is liking, the idea of Walnut on a maple bath countertop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS