Wooden pallets

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
We get a number of wooden pallets with each delivery and they end up in landfill.

Is anyone interested in free collection, or is this part of the throwaway age we live in?

If there is any interest, I can stack until there is a load for collection.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wish I were closer - I got a LOT of good wood from pallets!

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Wish I were closer - I got a LOT of good wood from pallets!
I believe there is a pallet company on one of my bicycling routes, problem is building the new house, shop and the way the business took off, there is no longer time for 40 mile bicycle rides. Shame to throw all this stuff away.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I am out of room for wood in my little shop. But I have used pallets I received material on. I used a little in the back of my dresser, for instance, where it will not show to support the back of plywood. Worked fine for this. The nail holes did not matter. It was some sort of imported softwood, not really suitable for anything "nice" IMHO.

In my county, they run pallets through the chipper they use on wood cuttings from landscaping to produce mulch they then sell. So the pallets do not go into the landfill, they get used.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Rustic is in fashion. You won’t believe the requests we get for rustic work from customers, for which pallet wood is ideal.

Unfortunately, selling my labor is not where the money is and I am not a rustic builder.

Our bread and butter comes from design, purchase and install, with perhaps the occasional odd piece made in the shop as part off a big supply and install order.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I believe there is an operation that is chipping pallets a little south of Winston Salem. It's been a while since I've been down that wa but used to pass it regularly. There were huge stacks of pallets and mountains of "mulch". Maybe there is a similar operation over your way.
'course a higher level of reuse would be optimal, but it beats the landfill.

There used to be a market for used pallets for shipping as well.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lee Valley just posted something about building a bar from pallets. I've got two 8' footers in Trenton SC, Hank.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I live in new construction and all I see is wood!! *dodging the tomatoes*

So far, 3 pallets have found their way into my garage. *Shame on you, pallets!! How dare you!*
If I am lucky, I'll wake up to a few more making their way into my garage.

It is a slight pita but, I think spending a few moments taking the nails out is well worth it. Sure, it isn't mahogany, some other exotic but, I'll take it. You never know when someone wants a rustic birdhouse built :p
At times, I really wish I had a truck... AND an endless amount of space. I'd love to grab 100+ pallets vs letting them hide in dumpsters or find their homes in chippers :'(

Best of luck, Willemjm Willem, with your pallets.

Rory

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
with the price of wood, if I was closer I'd consider grabbing some to use for the interior walls of my shed/shop.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Don't know if they take used pallets/crates but there are two possible places not too far from you in Vass, NC. . If they don't take them maybe they know somewhere that might.

Carolina Crate & Pallet
3281 US-1 Bus N
Vass, NC 28394
910-245-4001

Ingram Woodyards, Inc
2895 US Hwy 1 N
Vass, 28394
910-245-2177

I believe Ingram Woodyards used to make mulch and sold it to locals.
I doubt either place will pick up so that be a no sale for you.

Good luck.

Ray

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
We get a number of wooden pallets with each delivery and they end up in landfill.

Is anyone interested in free collection, or is this part of the throwaway age we live in?

If there is any interest, I can stack until there is a load for collection.

Willem,
I live in West End and need some pallets for a project. I'll reach out to you with a message.
Matt

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Willem,
I live in West End and need some pallets for a project. I'll reach out to you with a message.
Matt
I currently have four 48” and one 96”. Three of the 48” have been claimed by a member.

I will keep updating as we get new deliveries.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was recently at a small restaurant in Front Royal, VA and they used pallet wood as wall covering. It really looked nice. I could see it used in a bar or man cave or den. That's the wife in the foreground.

pallet-wood-wall-2.jpg

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
When friends of ours inherited her parents house, they cleaned it up and sold it. In the basement and a huge carport were lots and lots of lumber, all reclaimed, mainly from pallets. I was asked if I'd like any and thus I spent 4 Saturdays loading my truck and trailer and bringing home all of it. There are many useful 2x4s as well as 2/4 and 3/4 pallet boards. Hoping to soon find time to rebuild the former 18'x22' addition that was on the backside of the shop, and much of this wood will find it's way there. Back in 1966 when I was building the barn and outbuildings on our homestead, I used all pallet lumber. Where I was working as a tool and die apprentice received 16' x 12" x 12" pine boxes that brass tubing was shipped in. They also received 4' x 12' pallets that sheet steel came in on. Those pallets were hardwood, but I used those 2 x 4's for studs. People advised me I couldn't pound nails into them, but I was young and in great physical condition--you can pound 20p nails into hardwood when it's the only choice you have. Pallet wood can give you a lot of good material for many things.

Dcoop

New User
David
Bruce I have about 300 denailed pallet boards for free. Plus 300 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 boards. lengths are 32 and 40 inches. Pick up only. southern Rowan County

Trey1984

Trey
User
I've been seeing right much hardwood on pallets at work. I actually got few pieces of walnut from couple pallets. See more oak than anything.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS