wooden gear clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Hi there everyone.

I have bought a set of plans for a wooden gear clock and I was wondering if any one has made one of these befor and if so what problems might I run into.

Thanks Mark:new_blowi

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
All I can remember of the one I built (late 60s) was that the main gear wheel warped. Since there was so much hand work involved I didn't fix it.
Good luck,
Joe

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I thought about building one a while ago but decided cutting the gears would be more than I wanted to mess with.

Which one will you be building?

Be sure to post some progress reports and pics.

pete

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I am afarid thats what will hsppen to me. I t seems like a good ideal at the time dosent it. Lots of luck finishing of I guess starting it, If you do let me know how it turns out.

Mark

sawduster

New User
Robert
Would love to see someone actually build one of those ....it's too much for me ! :tinysmile_tongue_t:
I say start it, do it till it gets boring, then use it as a back up project for when other things are drying etc :icon_thum

Take lots of pictures !! :kermit:

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
Mark
Dick won't be sarting on that clock anytime soon. Somebody showed him a rocking chair that was made for Steve and he just had to make one, now that it is done he has to build a sreened porch to put it on and a few more of those rocking chairs to keep that one company or at least one more so HE has some where to sit on that someday porch.
Rita :rotflm:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Mark
Dick won't be sarting on that clock anytime soon. Somebody showed him a rocking chair that was made for Steve and he just had to make one, now that it is done he has to build a sreened porch to put it on and a few more of those rocking chairs to keep that one company or at least one more so HE has some where to sit on that someday porch.
Rita :rotflm:

Oh Ho!! Soo--- you finished it, eh Dick?? Pics please!!

:icon_thum

nelsone

New User
Ed
I bought the plans a while ago, but after trying a few scrolling projects...well, let's just say I have a lot of respect for the scrollers we have around here!:confused_

I may get around to it, but it isn't very high on the priority list!

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Reggie I did finish it except to replace the seat and back screws to longer ones I used short screws til I knew the spacing was what I wanted. I did make a set of templets as I went so I can make more. Will get pictures next weekend. Will get to the clock someday.
dick

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
You know I found out that my saw is the smart one in this pair all I do is hold the wood and the saw handles the hard stuff.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Mark said:"I have bought a set of plans for a wooden gear clock and I was wondering if any one has made one of these before and if so what problems might I run into?

Hey Mark,
I have looked at those wooden gear clocks over the years and pondered :eusa_thin ?? Do the plans give you many tips on tools/techniques/jigs on how to construct the clock? On a side bar, my Dad has an OLD Seth Thomas clock with wooden gears that has been a family topic of conversation my entire life. The clock was a wedding gift for my Dad's great-great-grandparents ( think I got the correct # of greats). The regulation and running of that old clock is very nimby-namby with fluctuations in temperature and humidity, etc. I have oft thought about seriously checking into one of these new wooden gear clocks to build for my Parents as a Christmas gift. Anyway, a new wooden gear clock would be easy for one of these guys that use milling machines, metal lathes and such in their woodworking. I would imagine for use with "normal" woodworking tools, a bunch of jigs and fixtures would be in order, for instance to accurately cut the gear teeth, not to mention possible funky cutter shapes that may not be readily available?? Joe Scharle, care to enlighten some of us about how you made yours?? :eusa_thin?? This might be an interesting project for me after I finish this current "very complex" project that could take the rest of the year......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS