Wooden Block Plane -- COMPLETED!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
So in I believe the most recent edition of Wood Magazine they had an article on making a wooden hand plane. I've wanted to do one for a while and the article made me go ahead and give it a try.

it's turning out okay. We'll see how it works once I get it totally done. I need to find a source for some 1/4" Brass Rod.

Here are some photos so far. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of it while I was gluing up the the cores.

The woods are Sapele, Spalted maple, and Walnut.

I cut the core into it's three parts. The two sides left and right will be the plane and then the triangle is where the wedge comes from.

2011-08-01_19_11_09.jpg

View image in gallery

The sides have been glued to the core

Shot of the Wedge template on the part that was cut out.

Starting to adjust the opening on the bottom. I did this a little differently than they suggested in the article they suggested using the table saw to open the throat up I didn't feel like I was going to be able to get the control I wanted so I set my jointer up to take it's lightest cut possible. that slowly opened the throat I would test it with the blade run another pass test over and over. I also used a few files to help out. Apparently when I made the 45 degree cuts on the table saw my blade was out of square just a bit so I had to adjust the openings to account for that. The next one will be better. :gar-Bi

Now the blade fits all the way through.

Shot of the throat it's mostly squared up.

My Son wanted to get in on it with his toy plane. :)

The plane with the wedge removed. Once I can find some brass rod I can drill for that and hopefully have a tight fitting wedge and can finish her up.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Re: Wooden Block Plane

I got plenty of brass rod, PM your address and I send you a couple short pieces for that plane.

MikeH

New User
Mike

Nice work Kevin. The plane looks awesome. I look forward to hearing how it works. :icon_thum

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

I got plenty of brass rod, PM your address and I send you a couple short pieces for that plane.

Thanks Mike D. PM Sent

MikeH thank you very much. I'm looking forward to see how it works. I'm not expecting much but it's the first once so I'll be thrilled if it works at all.

KC

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Kudos!!!

Nice selection of woods too. The glued up wedge looks fantastic.

Can't wait to see some shavings!

Jim

bwat

New User
Bill

Very nice Kevin:icon_thum
For future reference most model/craft stores keep a rack of brass rods in varying sizes.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Brass on the way.

I think I got this at Tractor Supply, comes in 3 foot lengths. Was probably $3.00 when I got it several years ago.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

Very nice Kevin:icon_thum
For future reference most model/craft stores keep a rack of brass rods in varying sizes.

Yep that just jogged my memory. I haven't been to look at RC Airplanes in so long that I forgot you could get it there. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Brass on the way.

I think I got this at Tractor Supply, comes in 3 foot lengths. Was probably $3.00 when I got it several years ago.

Thanks Mike I really appreciate it. I've got a tractor supply down here as well I'll have to go by sometime and look. I know this will not be the last one I make. :) I'm thinking a #6 size is in order.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

Kudos!!!

Nice selection of woods too. The glued up wedge looks fantastic.

Can't wait to see some shavings!

Jim

Thanks Jim. I can't wait to get it done and see how it works and see how it looks with the finish on it. I'm thinking probably just some BLO on it. I guess if nothing else it will look real pretty. :rotflm:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

Thanks for posting the WIP pics Kevin. I've always wanted to build a plane, just haven't gotten around to it yet. :nah: Yours looks great! :icon_thum

Bill

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Working on the Wedge

While I wait for the brass rod from Mike Davis (Thanks Again Mike, I appreciate it) I decided to go ahead and start putting the finish on the wedge. I sanded it to 400 and then started putting some danish oil on it. I took some scrap and put danish oil on it as well as BLO. I liked the feel and look of the danish oil better than the BLO and decided to go with that.

here is a shot of the wedge with the first coat. I'll probably put a few more on it.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member

She's Done She's Done.....

With a little help from dad's (JCraig) worksharp I have a very nice custom made block plane now.

I'm looking forward to starting some more. I may do another block plane but I'm seriously considering a Jointer plane. :)

So here are the post action shots. She is a good little plane and I'm hoping for many years of use.

ChrisB

New User
Chris
This looks great, Kevin! I too plan on making some planes once I finish some home remodeling and yours gives me some motivation. A question: Did you have to file a flat area on the brass rod to hold the wedge? I've seen it done with and without the flat but have never heard whether one method holds the wedge better than the other.:dontknow:

Chris

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Looks better than the mag's, Kevin.
BTW, where did you get the blade?

Thanks Joe I appreciate that. I got the blade from Home Depot. They have a Buck Bros 6 1/2" Block Plane for around $11. Once we sharpened it on the Worksharp it cuts exceptionally good.

This looks great, Kevin! I too plan on making some planes once I finish some home remodeling and yours gives me some motivation. A question: Did you have to file a flat area on the brass rod to hold the wedge? I've seen it done with and without the flat but have never heard whether one method holds the wedge better than the other.:dontknow:

Chris

Chris,
I did not file the brass rod flat to hold the wedge. It holds very well. So well there is no way i could pull the wedge out with my hand. I had to tap the back several times to loosen it enough to pull it out.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
A good looking tool that performs well: what more can you ask for. Great job Kevin. :notworthy:

Bill

Thanks Bill. I think the answer to that question is about four or five more in different sizes. :) I've already got a second one going right now. I should have it finished tomorrow. :) It's an Oak and Sapele Core and is going to have Curly Maple cheeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS