Woodcraft Tool Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
It's been several weeks since I last posted. I have turned a few more pens but in doing so determined I need to get a smaller tool rest for my Craftsman 217170 lathe just cant get the 12" rest close enough so I am considering the Woodcraft tool rest http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=391

Any of you turners have any experience with it?

Thanks for your response.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
John, I purchased a 6" Jet rest from WC for use on my HF lathe. Like you that 12" rest is a pain for turning pens. The price was under $15.00. I love it.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
John, I purchased a 6" Jet rest from WC for use on my HF lathe. Like you that 12" rest is a pain for turning pens. The price was under $15.00. I love it.
I tried to order the 6" rest from Sears, but their supplier no longer carries it.:cry_smile

I like the WC tool rest. The rest is separate from the post and they have several "U" & "S" rests which give some good options for turning bowls and such. I am going to get the 6" rest now and maybe in a few month get one of the "S" when I get up the nerve to try turning a bowl.:5sigh:

James Davis

New User
James Davis

Scott,
What did you have to do to your Harbor Freight lathe to get it to work? I too bought the Jet and the post would not fit into the holder. So I ended up going back and getting the Woodcraft system. It works great but I had to shim the 7/8" post to make it work. I like the system very much because of the different components that are available for it but it is pricey.

James

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
You won't regret the short rest. Other things than pens are almost impossible with a 12" rest.

Good luck ordering anything from sears. Sears, the store I LOVED no BEGGED to get to go to when I was young. Now, I'd rather get a tooth pulled with no sedation. By an angry teenager. With a blindfold on. Well, almost.
You can order it and if you go to the store they'll let you order it, pay for it, and then tell you its backordered and they have no idea when it might be available... it might be discontinued, they really can't tell.. argh!! I DID get my money back~

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Andrew. You are certainly on the money regards to Sears. I did order the rest from the Parts site, took the order and everything. Several days later, I checked the status of the order and the rest was cancelled. Took several days for them to get back to me that their supplier discontinued it. They gave me a credit for it. However, I checked the site several days ago and they are still taking orders for it....

I cant wait to get the new rest. I have a number of pens to turn for Christmas gifts.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Scott,
What did you have to do to your Harbor Freight lathe to get it to work? I too bought the Jet and the post would not fit into the holder. So I ended up going back and getting the Woodcraft system. It works great but I had to shim the 7/8" post to make it work. I like the system very much because of the different components that are available for it but it is pricey.

James

The HF lathe uses a 25mm post, I had to buy some 25mm bar stock from festional (sp) and weld up a couple of rests
This is the small one
toolrest.jpg

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I have tool rest system similar to the one from WC. I got it from Packard. It works just fine and you can get all kinds of different lengths and styles. It should do the trick.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott,

James

James the Jet rest was on the heavy side. A couple quick passes at the bench grinder and a final rub with emery paper and there you go.

I guess that makes me a metal worker too....:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors