Woodcraft Spring Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphie9

New User
Brian
Is on 2/26-2/27...anybody been to this sale and how good is it? (ie should I get the 30% off bandsaw accessories now or wait to next W/E?)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
10% off power tools with usual exclusions for SawStop, Festool, Leigh Jigs, Lei-Nielsen, Dowelmax, General International, & Gift Cards.
15% off all finishes & Glues, Carving Tools, Wood, Woodboring Tools, Books & DVD s, Router bits.
20% off all Hardware/Fasteners, single & 10 pack Pen Kits, Pen Kit Accessories, DC Accessories.
Sales tax calculated on pre - discount price. :gar-Cr

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Sales tax calculated on pre - discount price. :gar-Cr

Interesting. I don't believe that is legal. Sales tax is only supposed to be collected on the actual sale price. What Woodraft is doing is effectively reducing their discount and misleading the public by overcharging them for sales tax. I'm pretty sure the law requires that any amounts collected as "sales tax" must be remitted to the state. They may want to reconsider this policy.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm not sure about it either, but it's the way the postcard reads. I'm sure the state doesn't mind with a shortfall to their budget for this year. Most stores now have the software on the sales terminal computing how much to send to the state.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Huh. I always thought the sales tax was calculated after the fact. I will have to check that.

As for the sale, it isn't bad, but it isn't the best either. For Woodcraft, their best sales are their 15 percent bag sales and 20 percent off Powrematic and Jet Tools.

Klingspor recently had a 20 percent off sale, but I believe it excluded power tools.

Still, I expect I will try to stop by to see what I can spend.:rolleyes:

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Don't forget - Free shipping online!

This is nice when you only want a couple of smaller items and don't want to drive to the store to see if they have them in stock. I've placed my order already, no coupon code needed!

Red

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
My in house tax expert (CPA wife) tells me there is a way where that tax practice is perfectly legal, though the bookkeeping is quirky. It is roughly the equivalent of an immediate rebate. It happens when the local store needs to recognize the revenue in the full amount; it's like they are selling the item to you at the regular price but WoodCraft corporate is paying part of your bill.

15% off carving tools? Hmmm - there are a few Pfiels (OK, most of them :) ) I don't have yet...

Herb Shelly

New User
Herb
There certainly seems to be some confusion regarding the sales tax for our Spring Sale and I'll blame it on "boiler plate" language in the post card that was mailed. The Spring Sale is a sale and the discount is applied to the items and taxed at the discounted price. A coupon is a form of payment after the tax is calculated and sale is completed. The are no coupons involved or needed for this event. The best way for me to explain this will be for ALL of you to come to the store this Friday and Saturday and we'll demonstrate how it works. Of course this requires a purshase to effectively show you.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am going up there around 11am today (friday) I might pick up the Nova Pin chuck.

I will look for you; I plan to be there around 11:00. I will actually have a little piece of wood I got from you with me; a little spalted holly (I think) offcut that wants to be an owl. I am shopping for a carving tool or two and I want to try out a Pfiel palm tool. They usually have some soft basswood you could cut with a burnisher out on a bench for test cuts, but I would rather try something a little harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS