WoodCraft Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotel

New User
Rotel
Has anyone here been to any of these classes at Woodcraft? I am thinking about going to the understanding wood finishing class next week, but am unsure if it's worth the $90. Not sure what to expect.

klfelkins

New User
Kristy
Not sure what to expect either, but I hope its good b/c I signed my husband up for that class for Christmas :)

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
If you have any questions or doubts, I would really encourage you to talk to the folks at the Woodcraft store in question. Some of the offered courses are taught by store employees, in which case you will likely have a chance to discuss your concerns and expectations with the actual instructor. Others are taught by travelling masters of their profession (such as Rob Cosman) and, trust me, the Woodcraft staff will have no problem telling you what you can expect to get out of such a class.

A lot of the courses are introductory type courses, in which case it will depend on your existing level of expertise and how easily such concepts come to you naturally. If you are new to finishing, the bandsaw, etc, the courses can be a wonderful way to get you up to speed and help you learn how to properly setup and safely use your new tool.

Other courses are more intermediate to advanced, in which case you will likely want to have mastered at least some basic understanding of the topic beforehand.

Again, a conversation -- especially in person -- with Woodcraft staff can really go a long ways towards answering your questions. I know of a number of courses I would love to take, but my health issues make me much to slow to physically follow and keep up with the classes I'm interested in. I've never found the friendly employee's at my closest Woodcraft (Greenville, SC) difficult to talk to about such matters (and I am a fairly shy and quiet fellow) -- in fact if I'm not careful a few of them could easily go on for hours literally covering the entire course for free... lol.

Enjoy!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have taken a couple classes over the years. In general they tend to be geared to the newbies so if you are looking to learn I think they are worth the money.

RayH

New User
Ray
I have taken a couple classes over the years. In general they tend to be geared to the newbies so if you are looking to learn I think they are worth the money.

+1. My experience with the classes is much like Scott's. However, I would add that the instructors were good about "pitching" the level of the information to the experience levels and interests of the students. IMHO both classes were well worth the cost. :eusa_clap

Ray

rotel

New User
Rotel
Thank you all for this information and your replies! I posted the question on this forum, because when I went to the store and asked one of the employees here in Raleigh a few days ago, they just read the course definition out of the book you sign up for.

I would consider myself a newbie so maybe this will be perfect for me. I just wanted to make sure it was not the kind of class (being a retail store) that focused more on the products they offer in the store than what they teach in the class.

Thanks again!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
If it helps you decide the first class I took was on scroll sawing and it was with the old Raleigh WoodCraft Store. Some folks will say I now know my way around a scrollsaw :wwink:.

Klingspor also offers some good classes.

FlyingRon

Ron
I suppose it depends on whatever instructor you get, but my wife and I did the intro turning class up here and we thought it was pretty good. We each ended up with a turned candlestick and they came out well enough that it takes a pretty trained eye for people to realize they were turned by different people working off the same set of plans (although my wife went back and finished off her base to match the little freehand flange I put on mine).

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Been to some in Greenville, SC Woodcraft and they were great. Went to a Rob Cosman one and he is back there this month sometime.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Thank you all for this information and your replies! I posted the question on this forum, because when I went to the store and asked one of the employees here in Raleigh a few days ago, they just read the course definition out of the book you sign up for.

I'm sorry to hear that, I can not imagine anyone at my local Woodcraft (Greenville, SC) responding in such an uninformative manner. In fact, the owners of my local Woodcraft actually teach several of the introductory level classes themselves, as do a number of other employees. Then again, Paul and Brenda (owners) are wonderful to do business with, and they get quite a bit of business from me each year. They even write to check up on me if I go several months without stopping by (they know of my health problems and will even drop items off at my place upon request if I'm not up to a trip into Greenville).

T

toolferone

I just looked up the class on-line and I see it is being taught by the store manager Herb Shelly. He is a very knowledgeable wood worker and a heck of a nice guy. I would not hesitate to take this class from him. I have taught many classes at Woodcraft and I can tell you that the folks who seem to learn the most are the ones who ask questions, so don't be shy.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I've taken classes at Woodcraft in the past and really enjoyed them. The people in Matthews Woodcraft are "good people" and the classes were worth the money. I've not taken the finishing class ... but that is one of most mysterious elements to my woodworking at times!

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Take the classes

I have made it point to always take classes, not always at Woodcraft, but a many of the woodworking type stores. When I travel, I always look up to see what the local Woodcraft or Rockler store is offering, and often sign up.

I have taken around a dozen classes from Woodcraft and always been pleased. Even if it is a topic that I am familiar with, I always learn something, and often there is the advantage of getting a 10 or 15% discount on all purchases that day at the store by taking the course. I have made hundreds of pens, and trained several other woodworkers to make pens, after I took my first pen turning class at Woodcraft years ago. I learned how to turn beginning and then advanced bowls at Woodcraft. I learned how to use the tablesaw for many situations and make a sliding table for it. I enjoyed learning how to sharpened and use scrapers. I enjoyed seeing how to use and using myself, all of the good versions of dovetail guides. I have had the opportunity to use many different tools and learn what features I would like for my own purchases.

Yes, the Woodcraft classes tend to be introductory, many meet the needs of advanced workers as well. I learned, and then was able to practice, leading to my taking many advanced, weeklong courses from professional woodworkers, like Lonnie Bird.

Take the courses. It will be enjoyable, and you will be amongst folks with your same interests, trying to learn the same things you are. I have taken Woodcraft courses all over the country and been happy with all of them (Virginia, Tennessee, Colorado, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida).

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors