Woodcarver's shop in Siena, Italy

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I visited Tuscany last week and found this tiny shop in an alley in Siena. The door was wide open but there wasn't anyone inside. His tools were all laid out, perhaps for sharpening.

1667162875955.png

1667162935112.png

There were only a few examples of his work, the Biblical scene in the acrylic case at right and a few samples on the wall at left. I'd bet he carved the leaf on the tail vise as well. You can see his phone on the bench, so he wasn't going to be gone for long. I wish I had time to stay and wait for him to return, but I was in a group and we had a tour of the cathedral scheduled.

I also saw what is perhaps the world's most famous wood sculpture of all time, Mary Magdalene by the Renaissance master Donatello. It's in the Duomo Museum in Florence and dates from circa 1455.

1667163428958.png

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
"I'd bet he carved the leaf on the tail vise as well."
Maybe not him, but maybe one of his ancestors.......

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I spent some time in Siena a few years ago, one of the most ancient, authentic places you can imagine. I drank wine with 3 brothers who were running a deli and invited us to have an afternoon break with them!. We shared wine and boar sausage and cheeses, one memory Ill always treasure.! Wonderful people!.

Last edited:

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Wow! In many respects the workshop could be considered somewhat rudimentary, but from this shop the craftsman produces some truly amazing art!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
That's amazing. Thanks for sharing. Any idea what those spikes are for that are hanging along the back wall below the row of keys?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS