Woodburning commission

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I burned this old Holden Beach Ferry from a photo that I found online. I posted it to a Facebook group that I belong to (Friends of Holden Beach). I received quite a few positive comments and some are asking if I sell these. I've never sold anything that I have made, but since there is so much interest, I might give it a try. I have no idea what I should charge. Any advice is appreciated. Thank

This measures 9 1/2" by 15" including the frame and took approximately 12 hours (If I were more proficient, it probably wouldn't take so long :))

Holden Beach Ferry 1953.jpg

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Beautiful execution of wood burning. It looks like an excellent pen and ink drawing. Not sure how to price.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
So big question is what you think your time is worth. Material + Time + Profit Margin = Sales Price.

Sometimes things take along time to make and what you think your time is worth makes the final sales price too high.

I would recommend checking out Etsy and Amazon Homemade for similar items and see if those are sales prices you are comfortable with.

And that does look amazing!

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Before you sell any of these, and it is a very nice work, check into any possible copyright issues. If the original photo is in the public domain then you're free and clear. Otherwise?

Edit: I found the original picture online and it's a signed work currently on sale by the artist, who lives here in NC. I can see that you reversed the image and removed the artist's signature. So it is a copyrighted work. Just be aware of what you could get into by using it for what you are planning.

Last edited:

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
How long does it take to do one?
What is your time worth?
What is the cost of materials?
Profit?
Simple math should tell you what you need to charge. Now, will they pay that much? Are you willing to charge less than this?

Charley

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
My guess somewhere around $100 - $150 range. That seems like an awfully low number for 12 hours of work, but you're competing with people using laser engravers to crank this out in a couple of hours. But try asking $200 and see if anyone bites.

Yes, still ridiculously low at $200.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I do some woodburning for commission. I don't charge nearly enough. Usually I do them only for friends so I price them quite reasonably. I enjoy doing them plus I never put a deadline on the delivery date. I've been picking away at a project for a fellow woodworker here on this site for several months now. Just spent some time this morning working on it. Can tell you when it'll be ready.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Thats under 20 bucks an hr,way way too low for that skill level. I agree tho, that probably should sell near 350 to 400 but might not get it, .At least you already have interested clients, no competition. My reason; that skill level is worth every bit of 25 an hr, 12 hrs is 1 1/2 days therefore minimum is 300 in labor,material maybe 25, profit 25%,
selling price should be 407. Hard to say what to sell at do not want to under price, that could hurt you real bad if suddenly 20 or more folks want one. Try this, talk to client explain process,hrs, etc and mention that a fair price should be about 400, then see what the response is, let him help decide price. IF he is happy at 400, now you have established a price that they will sell at.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
Before you sell any of these, and it is a very nice work, check into any possible copyright issues. If the original photo is in the public domain then you're free and clear. Otherwise?

Edit: I found the original picture online and it's a signed work currently on sale by the artist, who lives here in NC. I can see that you reversed the image and removed the artist's signature. So it is a copyrighted work. Just be aware of what you could get into by using it for what you are planning.
old ferry 3.jpg

Thanks. The photo I used was from a postcard that one of the Facebook members posted.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That post card would be copyrighted also. It is much more extensive and complicated than you think. Even if the original artist is dead the heirs could sue for more than you think.

I had to deal with this a lot doing art for woven tapestries. Most of the time for landmarks I would go and make my own photos. That makes it your original art and fully your copyright.

Several times the company asked me to reproduce art that was copyrighted and after doing the research they agreed not to produce or to send me for photos or to spend the time to create original art. A few times we contacted the copyright holder and signed a contract to use their art. Most of the time the tapestries didn’t sell enough to pay the royalties and certainly not enough to pay court costs in a dispute.

If you decide to pursue this idea you should go and make good photos of the subject and create your own art. Then charge as much as you can. Most discerning customers can tell real art from laser reproductions. The difference is like an oil painting and the associated print. Hundreds of dollars in value between the two.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
That post card would be copyrighted also. It is much more extensive and complicated than you think. Even if the original artist is dead the heirs could sue for more than you think.

I had to deal with this a lot doing art for woven tapestries. Most of the time for landmarks I would go and make my own photos. That makes it your original art and fully your copyright.

Several times the company asked me to reproduce art that was copyrighted and after doing the research they agreed not to produce or to send me for photos or to spend the time to create original art. A few times we contacted the copyright holder and signed a contract to use their art. Most of the time the tapestries didn’t sell enough to pay the royalties and certainly not enough to pay court costs in a dispute.

If you decide to pursue this idea you should go and make good photos of the subject and create your own art. Then charge as much as you can. Most discerning customers can tell real art from laser reproductions. The difference is like an oil painting and the associated print. Hundreds of dollars in value between the two.

Yeah, sounds like it's more complicated than it is worth. Here's some info on postcard copyright issues.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
So, 1950 without notice printed on card and you are ok. But if it has a circle c and date do not sell.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
It gets even more complicated. The print I saw was by an artist named Keith White. You can see it here. If it is still on the page. Since I spotted it a couple of hours ago it has become "sold out". That said, it looks like the same picture as found on that old postcard. You can make your own speculations about that.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Preston, I should have added that I think you do really beautiful work. Clearly you have the skills to go from a photo to a finished wood burning art piece. Take some photos that you then own and turn them into saleable art. You definitely have the talent. There's a ton of photogenic sites along the NC coast and still old tobacco barns and such near you. All popular subjects.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I don't think you can price artwork using time & materials as a guide.
Well, you can but I don't think it's a good idea.
For example, I purchased a nice 30"x30" woodburning of an old barn for $35.00.
Conversely, I did a small carving of the Jaguar "Growler" Logo, posted it on a Jag forum and was offered $250.
It's perceived value that is important.
Look at Etsy "woodburning art". Prices range from $20 to $6,800. Where would you like to place yours???

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Nice looking piece! It took my wife a while to realize it was an image burned on wood. She was amazed.

The same postcard image can be found here as well. Who knows "which way is up" for sure, but it looks like the artist selling the artwork is the one who flipped an image, recreated it and put his name on it :eek::p (not saying anything about the artist, he may have paid for rights, he may have redrawn it in some super creative way, I have no idea...)

You have gotten good advice from people telling you to be aware of copyright issues.

My 2 cents: If this isn't being mass marketed and advertised and you are going to sell one or two of these I wouldn't worry about copyright for one second. You are an artist with a unique capability with access to a few interested parties. You time has value. Your skill has value. Your willingness to spend both of those in combination has value.

$500 for a picture (+shipping).

That will turn away most people except for maybe one or two.... Perfect. You weren't out there trying to sell this item or your work, no reason at all to think you need to be competitive on price, take it or leave it.

Now forget my irresponsible bad idea. Nobody should do that. :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS