Wood Wood Wood Wanted !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I need some wood...cherry, walnut, some exotics or any other wood that would be good for flutes....I dont want any pine though. I might could use some poplar if it had good color..

Or point me to the best stores you guys buy wood from...I don't want to drive any more than 2 hrs one way.

I have a table saw but if I could pay a little extra to have it cut to size that would be good...Sizes I need are 1 1/2" square by 32 long and 1 1/4" long by 30 long.....My table saw isnt the best in the world....And Im looking for a good floor model bandsaw...Thanks

Nate Davey

New User
Nate
I get all my wood from a sawmill over on Strickland Bridge Road here in Fayetteville. He had A LOT of walnut, no exotics though.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I know it is a good drive for you, but the shorts bins at The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville is just what you are looking for you.

And let me add that a stop at The Hardwood Store will be part of an upcoming shop crawl, thanks to Cheyrllewis. If you are interested, details will be coming.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Mike,

What you are describing is "leg wood". It's cut to almost exactly those dimensions, straight grained and clear. I know you are aware that I have a stash of it that I have plans for, so this isn't a sell offer. I just wanted to make sure you know what is often called.

Another idea -You may want to think about getting some rough 8/4 from a sawyer and use a circular saw rather than your tablesaw to rip it; since you want to turn it round, accuracy of 1/16" or so is all you need and a straight edge and a circular saw will get you there and it's a lot less nerve racking to push a saw along a long piece of 8/4 than the other way around (and yes, I am suggesting ripping it board length and then cutting to desired length).

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Click on "Woodworking in NC" in the brown section on the top of the screen you're looking at right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS