Wood - what's your favorite / least favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

I think everyone has a favorite / least favorite wood - here's mine.

My Favorite is Red Oak - I like it's appearance - it finishes to a golden color without any tinting and I like it's open grain texture. For workability it's about as easy as it comes - machines like a dream. True green it smells a lot like puke, but not to bad...

My least favorite is Black Walnut - although in small amount is it tolerable. If I'm not careful and wear a good dust mask and shower immediately after sawing it. The stuff tears me up - I'm not right for days afterwords. It has that smell that just about makes me sick to my stomach. Drys my skin right out and sets me off into a far way land - I can't concentrate and my short term memory goes on a picnic for a few days. As far as workability it's not bad - but I try and stay away from it if at all possible.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I too like oak, also like maple. But my favorite is believe it or not Eastern Red Cedar. That could change though as I am finding out it is a pain in the !@# to work with. But I love the beauty that only ERC has, the reds, yellows, and purples all in the same piece of wood. Call me crazy if you will but there is just something about that cedar that interests me greatly.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'll have to get back to you on that one in a few years. So far, I've used red oak, ash, poplar, cherry and pine. And I like all of them. Next species I'll be using are beech, purple heart, maple and sycamore, and in the fall white oak, cypress and walnut (once all the stuff is dry...). My guess is I'll like all of those too!

BTW, sounds like you've sawn a LOT of walnut in your life :rolf: Certainly explains a few things....

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow I can't be so decisive. I have a love/hate relationship with them all
Maple, especially curly Maple is one of my favorites. It finishes so well, but machines so poorly.
Walnut, I love the natural color, especially air-dried or non-steamed. It machines very well, but is a pain to finish (to a high gloss) due to its open pore structure.
Oak is probably my most used wood. It machines well and finishes well, if you don't mind the open pore structure. I really like both QS RO & WO for the ray fleck and stability. I would prefer WO as it is a little more showier, but it is also harder to work with due to it's hardness.
I have worked with many other woods, Sycamore, Beech, Sassafras, ERC, Magnolia, Holly, Sweetgum, plus many Tropical species. My favorite wood is FREE wood.

Dave:)

J

jeff...

I too like oak, also like maple. But my favorite is believe it or not Eastern Red Cedar. That could change though as I am finding out it is a pain in the !@# to work with. But I love the beauty that only ERC has, the reds, yellows, and purples all in the same piece of wood. Call me crazy if you will but there is just something about that cedar that interests me greatly.

Yeah - your right ERC is high on my list of favorite woods - for the same reasons. Although it's a wood that requires a great deal of trial and error to figure out how to work with since it splits real easy.

Sorry the walnut bothers you Jeff! I love the stuff! Not sure I have a wood I hate.

I must have a reaction to Black Walnut I guess :dontknow: If I have to cut it it's only on certain days - when the wind is not blowing. I take extra precautions to keep the dust down to a min like pour the water on the blade even if it don't need it. Black Walnut has the same effect on me in the shop after dry too - so I know it's just not what comes off the logs - it's the wood... :wsad:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Over the years I've liked alot of woods, especially cherry. But, my comfort wood is red oak, wipe on a finish and rub it out, no fillers. It feels comfortable to the touch and just reminds me of houses and furniture that I've had over the years.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

J

jeff...

I'll have to get back to you on that one in a few years. So far, I've used red oak, ash, poplar, cherry and pine. And I like all of them. Next species I'll be using are beech, purple heart, maple and sycamore, and in the fall white oak, cypress and walnut (once all the stuff is dry...). My guess is I'll like all of those too!

BTW, sounds like you've sawn a LOT of walnut in your life :rolf: Certainly explains a few things....

Sure does explain a few things !!! :gar-La; But to be honest If I didn't have such a reaction to BW - I would cut it like crazy cause lots of people really like it especially if it has been air dried and not been steamed. It's a great wood for air drying it's hard to mess up since it has such a high max MC loss per day.

Wow I can't be so decisive. I have a love/hate relationship with them all
Maple, especially curly Maple is one of my favorites. It finishes so well, but machines so poorly.
Walnut, I love the natural color, especially air-dried or non-steamed. It machines very well, but is a pain to finish (to a high gloss) due to its open pore structure.
Oak is probably my most used wood. It machines well and finishes well, if you don't mind the open pore structure. I really like both QS RO & WO for the ray fleck and stability. I would prefer WO as it is a little more showier, but it is also harder to work with due to it's hardness.
I have worked with many other woods, Sycamore, Beech, Sassafras, ERC, Magnolia, Holly, Sweetgum, plus many Tropical species. My favorite wood is FREE wood.

Dave:)

Dave - what's not to like about Maple? Geeze I mean it comes in so many different varieties from fiddleback to birdseye to ambrosia to splated to dark and white - it's a very unique wood that's forsure - so if you don't like one piece your bound to like another.

Over the years I've liked alot of woods, especially cherry. But, my comfort wood is red oak, wipe on a finish and rub it out, no fillers. It feels comfortable to the touch and just reminds me of houses and furniture that I've had over the years.

Jimmy:mrgreen:

Jimmy I would venture to say Cherry is high on a lot of peoples list, especially Wild Black Cherry - but you know us bubbler kindof guys - we like Red Oak don't we? :rotflm:

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
My favorite is cherry because of its smell, but I like QS oak alot also.

The only wood I dislike is maple. The one project I did with hard maple, gave me horrible splinters and chunked out alot. Even the soft maple (yeah, right) seemed to be harder on my blades than other woods that I have used. The soft maple was 8/4, so that may have been why it dulled the blades faster?

Amy

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Cypress, of course! Works so easily and lasts so long!

Not crazy bout poplar, but no real hard dislikes.

:wsmile::wsmile:

T

toolferone

I love cherry! The older gets the morfe beautiful it gets! I don't like eastern red cedar because of its poor workability!

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Love working with Cherry, RO, ERC - I can't recall one that I don't like but I haven't worked with alot of different kinds yet - with the type of scrolling I do I use mostly RO 1/4 ply but I use the Cherry, RO, and ERC for the frames

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My favorites are red oak and spalted maple. Ok, just about anything spalted. My least favorite is the cheap BORG white wood plywood.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I'm like a lot of you all, I really don't have a love-hate relationship with any kind of wood. I've used cherry, red oak, white oak, birch, soft maple, cedar, poplar, pine, walnut, and a very little bit if cocobolo. I'd say the exotic stuff is harder to work with than anything else I've used. For the money you can't do much with it either, costs way too much to make anything very big. My other thought is it depends on what you're making and the wood used for the project, some stuff is not suited well to some types of things, so if your using wood for something it shouldn't be used with, it'll make you hate it.

I guess my all time favorite wood is the "FREE" stuff!!:icon_thum

bluthart

New User
Brian
My favorite is Brazilian Cherry, because of its beautiful grains. It's also my nemesis because it is very hard to surface and the splinters are brutal. I really like white oak as well. BTW, what is in walnut that gives people a reaction? I have a bunch of it but haven't worked with it yet.

Kenith

New User
Ken Stewart
My favorite has to be olive. I do a lot of pen turning and olive cuts like butter for me. Walnut has not bothered me yet, but the wood that does is cocobolo. It breaks my arms, neck, and hands out like poison ivy. A year ago I sanded some without wearing any lung protection and thought I had gotten pneumonia.

Ken

5Etek-mike

New User
Michael Lemings
Although my current armoire restore/refinishing project is my first experience working with alder; it's quickly becoming my favorite. I also really like ERC, maple (fiddleback and birdseye), and cherry. Can't forget the smoker :mrgreen:, where I prefer hickory and apple.

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
My favorite is Cherry with walnut close behind. The one I really hate is padauk-creates a fine dust that gets into everything ,clogs it as well as staining any cloth or filter components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors